Outside Help

I groaned, lifting my head. The rest of my body was temporarily paralyzed from the beating and the shock of Zelda's surge of magic. I slowly sat up and took in my surroundings.

The room was collapsed, with several large chunks on top of me. My back throbbed with pain from the whipping. I crawled out from under the rubble and continued to look around. Many guards were still trapped or knocked unconscious due to the blast. I frantically looked around, noticing that Zelda and Sheik were gone.

Zel? Are you there?

No response. I guess the connection was permanently broken when Ganondorf took our Triforce pieces. I longed to know of they were okay. Especially Zelda. I knew I needed her, and I still had a promise to keep.

One of the guards sat up, dazed. She looked straight at me, her eyes widening in shock.

"You, you survived? How? No one's been able to survive a Gerudo torture of that magnitude before..."

I looked at her, my face confused. "I don't know. All I know is that my friends are in trouble and I need to go save them."

She nodded. She quickly scanned the room, looking for signs of stirring or for those listening. She ushered me closer and I complied.

"I know where your belongings are being kept. I'll show you. I believe that Ganondorf will use the power of the Triforce for evil and wreak destruction on all lands, even his own land. I will help you in whatever way I can, but I can't leave the palace."

I nodded and followed her down the hallway to a small storage room. It was hard to walk. My whole body ached from the experience. And my heart. Seeing Zelda cry nearly tore me apart.

I followed her into the room, and the guard returned my possessions to me. I thanked her and began to put my tunic on. The chainmail was heavy on my still sore back, so I took it off and placed it in my magic bag. I rifled through it, everything still in there.

She handed me my sword and my shield, and I clipped them to myself.

"The road will be dangerous. I hope your back heals quickly so you will be able to wear the armor. You will certainly need it in your quest."

She looked down. "Your father is a very kind man and saved me on one occasion. I am happy that my debt can be repaid through you."

"Thank you," I said. I was still in my shorts and was badly hurt, but I was indebted to her.

She bowed. "I've waited for someone to overthrow this tyrant, and I believe that you and your friends can. Hurry and get on the road, they need you."

I nodded and turned to leave, carefully picking my way through the mess.

I emerged in Gerudo valley, which was thankfully deserted. I quickly traveled across the ravine over the bridge and emerged in Hyrule Field, the wide expanse connecting all the areas of Hyrule together.

I looked around, noticing that I was only about a few day's journey from the Great Fairy of Courage's fountain. She would have an idea of what I should do, especially since I was chosen by the Triforce of Courage.

I was still puzzled by that fact. Along the way, I thought about it. I wasn't brave, Sheik was. I wasn't smart, Zelda was. I wasn't a hero, I just a country boy who knew how to use a sword and loved a girl. A girl who was now somewhere in Hyrule.

I sighed. There was no way that I was going to be able to find the Great Fairy in good time without a horse. I pulled out my ocarina. There was a tune my father had taught me. He told me the tune would bring me help in dire need.

Well, if this wasn't dire need, I didn't know what could be worse. I blew into the Ocarina and played the tune. I heard a whinny and noticed Epona cantering up to me.

I stroked her muzzle. "Thanks, girl. I can always count on you."

She snorted, and I pulled out an apple for her. She ate it and I mounted her. She had lost her saddle but that wasn't so bad. I had ridden bareback since I was a kid. I urged her forward, and we quickly cantered off toward the Great Fairy's fountain.