Nightmares

I woke with a start. It was the middle of the night. I had barely been able to make it to the chair before falling asleep. I looked at Zelda. She must've been exhausted. I know I had been. It seemed that the energy field that Sheik had created fed off of us while we were in there. That was probably why I had been so tired.

I watched Zelda sleep for a few minutes before falling back asleep. Once asleep, I had a dream.

I was in a desolate landscape, rock with lava rivers. The air was black with ash clouds peppering the sky. There was a man with hair like fire standing before me. I looked into his red eyes and he spoke.

"So this is the hero of legend. Pathetic."

He stared me down. I backed up a little and drew my sword and shield.

He smirked. "You are weak and insignificant. You are no match for my power."

"Then who are you?" I called out to him.

"I am the great Ganondorf, king of the Gerudos. Don't think I haven't heard of you. I will find you and squash you like the bug you are."

I stood straighter. "You can't kill me when I'm with Zelda and Sheik. We are too powerful for you."

"Then I'll pick you all off one by one. You will come to fear me more than all your nightmares."

He sneered and walked closer. I took a step back and again woke with a start.

Zelda was awake and looking at me. "Are you alright, Link? It looked like you were having a bad dream."

I nodded. "Ganondorf threatened me, saying he would find me and kill me." I shuddered.

We walked out together and I grabbed my magic bag. I fished some food out of the pack, and we ate on our way to meet up with Sheik. I was glad to be rid of the stomach acid and saliva all over me. It was disgusting.

We finally met up with Sheik. "Alright, we need to head out. Zelda, do you know where we need to go?" He asked.

Zelda closed her eyes and concentrated. "I have a feeling that we need to go to Death Mountain to visit the Gorons. I have a feeling that they will need our help and that we will be able to find the other fairy somewhere near there."

We nodded in sync and geared up the horses. After giving Sheik a little bit to eat, we headed out, determined to reach Death Mountain, which happened to be pretty close to the Zora Domain.

Upon reaching the mountain, we tied up our horses in the small town at the foot of the mountain. When we exited the stables, we saw a house that was burning. Zelda, and the hero that she was, quickly summoned a column of water that doused the flames.

A family ran out shortly after coughing and breathing raggedly.

"Are you the one who saved my family?" the man asked.

I motioned toward Zelda. "Thank Zelda."

She nodded. "It was nothing."

Even as she said it, she began to wobble. I slipped right next to her, slipping my arm around her waist to support her. She stood a little straighter with me next to her.

We continued through the village, stopping at a potion shop on the way up the mountain. A woman was at the front register.

"Hello, and welcome to Kakariko Village! This is my potion shop, feel free to browse and buy whatever you want," she said.

I noticed there were a lot of potions to choose from. One caught my eye. A magic potion. Those would be perfect for Zelda.

"How much for a magic potion?" I asked.

She selected one off of the shelf. "Only 50 rupees. Quite a deal for such a useful item."

I nodded, and fished out enough money for 2 of the potions. I laid the money out, and she quickly counted it. She got 2 more potions down. She pushed them toward me.

"Wait, I only paid for 2. Why the 3rd one?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"It's been a while since I've sold any potions, and I have a feeling that you guys will need as many as you can get if you're buying 2 already."

"Thank you for your generosity," I said.

We bid farewell and exited the shop. We began climbing the mountain to visit the Gorons.