The Verdict

I picked Zelda up gently. She groaned at the pain, and I did my best to keep her steady. Her face was contorted in pain, a few tears running down her cheek.

"You're going to be okay, Zelda. Hang in there."

She nodded, wincing in pain. I quickly took her to my father who was in his workshop.

"Dad! Zelda's been hurt!"

He whipped around. The concern in his face was evident.

"What happened?" He asked.

I explained our predicament, telling him all about Zelda's mishap with the saddle and trying to get off of Epona. He listened intently, solemnly nodding his head. I could hear Zelda groan as I relived her embarrassing moment.

"Well, let's have a look at that ankle. I'm no doctor, but I've learned a thing or two in my day about injuries and the like."

He carefully extracted Zelda's foot from her sock and shoe. Zelda was holding back tears. I took ahold of her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. She looked at me appreciatively.

"How does it look?" Zelda asked. She sounded worried.

He pushed gently, but firmly, on places that were swollen. A few of the places garnered a gasp of pain from Zelda.

"Well," he responded. "It doesn't look broken, but there is no way you can get home driving on that foot. You'll hurt yourself even more."

"Then what can I do?" Zelda asked.

"Well, I'll give your parents a call and we'll see what can be done. It's already getting late, so we'll have to figure out a plan of action quickly."

Zelda nodded and he hurried out of the room. Zelda groaned. "This was just how I wanted today to go."

I gave her a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Zel. I didn't know that would happen or I wouldn't have suggested the idea."

I felt awful. It has been my idea to have her ride Epona. It obviously wasn't the horse's fault. I must have put on the saddle weird, or tangled the cords. But that wasn't the problem. I had double checked to make sure she would be safe, but she still wasn't.

Looking at her laying down on one of the cleared workshop tables softly moaning in pain was excruciating. If she was still similar to before, she would hate this. She was always the tough one, she never showed her pain. She would get scratches and bruises and shrug them off. I'd tried to be like that, but I wasn't strong enough.

"Are you doing okay?" I asked softly, still holding her hand.

"Better than I could be doing. Thank you, Link."

I was shocked. "Thanks for what? I haven't done anything."

She squeezed my hand. "Thank you for being here. Thank you for helping me, thanks for not laughing at me."

"Anytime, Zelda. I'm just happy that you'll be okay."

She smiled and yawned. "You should get some rest, Zelda. I'll watch over and take care of you. You're my friend and I would be devastated if you got even more hurt," I said.

"Okay. Thanks again Link."

She drifted slowly off to sleep. I had Aryll watch Zelda for a bit so I could grab a pillow and blanket to put over top of her. Once the blanket was over her, she quickly drew it tightly around her shoulders. I grabbed an extra pillow for her hurt foot and gently put it under.

Seeing her helpless made me feel useless. She was always the one who developed our adventures as kids. She was the planner. Most of the time, I was just there for the ride. I wasn't useful without her planning or her wit. I was just a country boy who happened to know a bit about a blacksmith's job. I could do chores, but I'm not very smart.

After we had moved to near Gerudo Valley, Dad had resorted to homeschooling us for my high school years as there were none such schools close. He wasn't stupid by any means, but that meant I didn't have a well rounded, broad education. I knew a lot about math and history, his strong subjects, but almost nothing about science, literature and so many other topics.

She looked so peaceful in her sleep. Seeing her made me want to sleep too, but I couldn't bring myself to sleep while she suffered.