The Morning Sun

A/N: So here is my first original story. I hope you enjoy this read and I welcome any reviews, be it positive or negative. A small note: English is not my first language but I am writing in English to I can hopefully improve my English. Please enjoy the read and let me know what you think.

The sun was slowly rising into the sky. For a few minutes, the sun was obstructed by the large concrete towers rising from the city. But even when the sun was not visible, it was better than sitting inside. Inside was even colder, enclosed by concrete floors, walls and even the ceiling out of concrete. Far behind the towers, I could see the wasteland.

There was nothing outside of this city of concrete, and that made it even more terrifying.

Looking down, I saw the army trucks move through the streets. My feet dangling, 5 floors up, I thought about jumping for a second, but that would mean that I would leave Bade alone. And that would mean he was going to die.

A drift of wind moved by and for a second I thought about climbing down again.

In the streets in front of me, I saw the long lines of workers making their way to the factory. This could have been our lives.

No matter what live you were living here, in a life among concrete, none of the lives you could live were really worth it. But who am I to say that? I was born into this society, and I had no idea how it had been before this.

But even here in the sun I did not feel much warmer. It was like the cold was getting into your bones after a while and there was nothing you could do to stop that feeling.

From birth to the grave, we were made exactly as the nation needed us. Workers, breeders, rebuilding this society.

Hearing the bells from the factory, I knew it was time to climb down again and held onto the edge of the roof, slowly lowering myself down as I stepped on the small ledge, making the turn through the open window and jumping back into the room.

Alisha jumped up as I climbed back inside our dorm room.

''Again?''

''Hey, it is better outside than it is in here.'' I assured her as I took my jacket off, searching for my working clothes for today. As soon as the factories started their work, we were expected downstairs soon to help with the supporting work for the people in the factories. Today I was probably working laundry, washing the blue overalls of the factory works.

Finally, I found my grey ones under the small bed I slept on after switching my undergarments and washing myself by the small sink the room as well as I could, I got the overalls on and grabbed the long piece of fabric I used to tie up my hair. My hair was getting fairly long, and getting it between one of the laundry presses was one of the – although one of the minor – things keeping me up at night.

''Ready for another great day?'' I sarcastically smiled at Alish.

'''We are lucky to work for the nation.'' Alish replied very serious, putting the book she was reading aside. One of the nation's books probably. I knew I had to be more careful about criticizing the nation. Alish was a lot more loyal than me.

''Sorry, wrong joke. But nothing wrong with talking to each other, right?'' I asked as she never spoke to me.

''You are the one lying to the leader, and I don't want to have anything to do with that.'' Alish told me.

Honestly, I could not blame her. I should have never trusted her anyway. I should have never told her. The only reason she probably had not ratted us out, was because the nation was going to find out anyway.