fourteen

[12:12pm]

THE DEMONS SWUNG around, their focus shifting from Jennifer to the new arrival. "My king," one of them spoke, bowing slightly with a mocking flourish of his hand. The other stepped aside, revealing, for the first time, a man dressed in a black trench coat, a cocky smirk painting his lips and a long, silver knife in one hand.

Jennifer gulped. This didn't look like it was going to end well. She internally groaned and cursed her naivety. 'What have I got myself into?'

"So this is the cause of your... distraction?" The demon sneered, "My, my, you have been slumming."

Crowley's smirk widened, "True," he considered, spreading his arms out and shrugging. Jennifer was about to protest, but he interrupted her before she could begin her angry rant. "But who else would be idiotic enough to try and rule you bunch of snivelling morons. Honestly, I'm doing the world a favour."

'Oh, this is Crowley alright,' Jennifer thought with a grin of her own, despite the dull throbbing of her arm that constantly reminded herself what she had unwillingly become a part of.

Both demons dropped their smirks of pleasure at their victory and the closest one gripped Jennifer by her injured arm in vice-like grip. A yelp of pain escaped her lips and the confident façade on Crowley's face dropped for a split second before it was back. "Don't sound too pleased, my lord, we still have the bitch."

"Boys, boys, boys," Crowley said slowly, shaking his head and taking a few steps closer. "I don't think we understand each other. You're going to let her go, right now."

They sneered and the one holding Jennifer squeezed a little tighter, "or what?"

Crowley dropped down and swung the silver knife at the nearest demon, who ducked and gave a bark of mocking laughter. Narrowing his eyes, Crowley slashed again, catching the demon's cheek with the blade, which glowed orange for a moment before a trickle of blood dripped from the cut. The demon bared his teeth in fury.

The one holding Jennifer took advantage of the distraction and used his free hand to grip her neck tightly. He put his face close to hers and she stared into the blackness of his eyes, a feeling of terror making its way up her spine. "The King won't be able to save you now," he spat, tightening his fingers.

No sooner as he had said this, the demon collapsed, Crowley's knife protruding from his back. Jennifer sank to the floor, coughing. "Shit," she wheezed, still gasping in air. "Shit, shit, shit."

"That's one way of putting it," Crowley remarked dryly, dusting off his suit and wiping a fleck of blood from his cheek as he stood up. He strode over to Jennifer, who sat with her back pressed tightly against the wall, and helped her up with her good arm. "Better get that fixed up," the demon commented, nodding at her wrist.

No sooner had he said it, the pair suddenly appeared in front of a familiar hospital just outside town. Jennifer stared around her in bewilderment, her hand still clutched to her body protectively. "What in the name of...?"

"Demon, remember," Crowley smirked at the surprise on her face.

Jennifer gave him a look. "Must have slipped my mind," she said sarcastically as he led her inside and she was taken off down the corridor by a nurse who, after seeing the state she was in, ushered her hurriedly away.

[04:38pm]

Hours later, her arm was successfully bandaged up and the painkillers had eased the throbbing to a bearable minimum. Jennifer lay in a hospital bed, head deep in the pillow and her eyes firmly closed. Needless to say, the events of the day had been a little tiring.

"How are you feeling?" A voice sounded from her right.

Jennifer jumped up in surprise. "Seriously, could you stop that? And I'm fucking great, thanks. Not like I was nearly killed by a demon from Hell just because of some stupid fucking dare to message the number 666. I'm going to kill Ben, no really, I am. It was his idea."

The demon held his hands up in surrender and sighed. "Look, I really am sorry about that."

Jennifer shut her eyes again and shook her head. "Hey, Crowley?" He hummed in recognition. "Why couldn't you have been joking?"