thirteen

[12:00pm]

JENNIFER TOOK A step backwards, tripping over her welcome mat as she did so. Her phone slipped from her fingers and skittered away through the door into the next room just as the familiar beep signified a new message.

The two delivery men — who would be ordinary looking civilians if it wasn't for the solid black that took the place of the eye — pushed aside the front door as if it weighed nothing. It barely clung on to its frame as the demons stepped past it, not giving it a second glance.

At the sight of Jennifer sprawled unceremoniously on the carpeted floor, the pair began to chuckle. It was not the jovial laugher of two friends, but a sinister sound that sent a tingle of fear jolting through her body.

Using her hands, she attempted to scrabble backwards away from the advancing demons, their coal-black eyes not once blinking. Her phone was out of reach, but she could see it constantly lighting up with new messages.

Jennifer swept her eyes around her house, looking for anything she could use as a weapon. The kitchen was only one door down the hall and from her point on the floor, she could see the glint of the knife block that was tantalisingly out of reach.

"So, you're our King's little bitch," one of the black-eyed demons sneered at her, spitting out the word 'King' like it was poison.

The other made a painfully slow and obvious reach into his pocket, pulling out a long, silver knife that caught the light as he twirled it between his fingers.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jennifer tried to protest, cursing herself for her wavering voice that made it painfully obvious she was lying.

They both gave a snort of laughter and the one with the knife knelt down beside her, still playing with the tip of the sharp weapon. "I would have thought she'd have a little fire in her." He sounded almost disappointed.

Jennifer screwed up all her courage and spat into the face of the smirking demon. He backhanded her across the face, taunting smile never leaving his lips. "That's better."

She shot her arm forward, trying to retaliate, but the demon caught it mid-swing and twisted it backwards. It gave a sickening crunch and the woman gave a scream of pain. She clutched her injured arm to her chest as the pair hauled her to her feet.

"As much as we enjoy playing this little game, I'm afraid it's time we get going." The brown-haired one made a grab for Jennifer who ducked and made a dash for the kitchen.

She tripped through the door, knocked over the salt and pepper shakers as she made a grab for the knives. Her hand closed over a handle and she drew the weapon from the block, holding it defensively in her non-injured hand. "Stay back," she threatened, knife out in front of her, "I'm warning you."

The demons mocking laughter filled the small room and there was no fault in their steps as they ignored the warning. Jennifer gave a yell and plunged the blade into the chest of the closest monster. He didn't so much as blink.

She gave a cry of dismay and took a few steps backwards until her back pressed the kitchen side. She was trapped.

"Games over," the demon smirked, knife still protruding from his chest that was stained red with blood.

"Sorry boys," came a new, unknown voice from behind the pair, "but I'm afraid she's not going anywhere."