Chapter 6: The Battle Approaches

--

"His handling of the rotary engine is almost an art." - Ryuji Ikeda on Ryosuke Takahashi driving his FC.

--

In early February, Hiro was sitting on his desk at school before Physics Class began, and Danny walked up to him.

" 'Mornin." Danny said.

" 'Mornin." Hiro said back.

"Hey uh, in only two weeks, Satoshi Nakazato is going to come here to Saitama and race that FC right?" Danny asked.

"Yup, I'm rooting for the FC. Although I don't know anyone who drives a car that old, he has to be a local on Sadamine to drive so well on it. I mean it was him who made the Hulk run away with his tail between his legs right?" Hiro said.

"Yeah, I'm definitely with you on that one, I want him to win to. I just want to know just who the hell it is." Danny said, getting frustrated, passing his hand through his brown hair.

Asuo was in earshot, and he stayed silent.

Itsuha sat next to him and asked,"Hey, can I borrow your notes? I wasn't here yesterday."

Asuo nodded and opened his binder.

Hiro saw this out of the corner of his eye and smiled.

"My friend told me that there's a battle on Sadamine in two weeks. I'm so excited to see it! I hear that one of the racer's drives an FC that's the car my uncle drove when he was a racer!!" Itsuha said.

"So you're into racing huh?" Asuo asked.

'Why is it that the only two people Asuo ever speaks to are my sister and Thomas?' Hiro wondered while Danny spoke to him.

"Of course I'm into racing, I was your navigator for two weeks during summer break remember?" Itsuha asked.

Hiro felt his father's old temper rise when he saw Thomas and Senna walk into class talking again.

'Why is the hottest girl in school talking to the nerdiest kid in school, how the hell does that work?' Hiro thought seeing Thomas chuckle at a joke Senna made.

Thomas glanced at the clock, and told Senna,"The bell is gonna ring in like a minute. I should go sit down."

She nodded and Thomas took his usual spot by the window next to Danny.

The teacher walked in, loosed his tie and hung it around his chair. 

"All right class please take your seats."

The bell rang and the class sat quietly.

Thomas had predicted the assignment and was already doing it instead of taking notes on the lecture on Fermi Energy.

The teacher turned around and saw the only student in the class not taking notes.

"Mr Friedland," The teacher said fixing his glasses,"Can you tell me what equation this is?" He asked pointing at it.

"That's the balanced formula for the Fermi Energy of a White Dwarf Star." Thomas said glancing at the board and returning to his assignment.

The class sighed, they were used to this.

"Without opening it, tell me what area of your textbook you'd find this sort of equation in?" The teacher asked.

"White Dwarfs? Uh, pages 253-371, A Review of Classical Kinetic Particles." Thomas said not even looking up.

The teacher gripped his piece of chalk out of frustration,"Okay class we have a quiz scheduled for today, and Mr. Friedland will be leading the presentation tomorrow on Orbital Dynamics.