Chapter 5. New residences

"Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful."
-Thich Nhat Hanh

Chapter 5. New Residences

Hazel ran at the speed of lightning, her shoes hitting the muddy soil and her heart pounding in her ears. Even her wolf felt free. They had gone for a run after a very long time. Her wolf nagged her and tried to persuade her into shifting and eventually, Hazel gave in to her wolf's desires.

She stood behind what seemed like to be a pine tree and checked to see if no one was watching. After making sure that she was alone, she removed all her clothes before putting them in her bag before she imaged her wolf and the next thing she knew, she had shifted into her silver colored wolf which had a few white streaks. Her wolf howled lightly before she took her bag in her mouth and started running. The soil underneath her paws felt so good and the slight moisture in the air which surrounded her made her wolf feel alive. Her wolf was on alert and she hoped that no guard would notice her and that they would all be occupied in working in the banishment ceremony.

Her prayers had worked and she had finally made it out of the pack borders without attracting any trouble. She ran for another half hour, listening to the hooting sounds made by the owls and marveling at the fireflies which illuminated the dark forest. The different scents of the flowers entered her nostrils and she felt at peace. Even though she was sad to leave the only home she has ever known, it was the only option.

Soon, she found herself close to her destination and she could tell by the obsessive smell of alcohol. It was Friday and past midnight so the smells made sense. She stood behind a tree and told her wolf, Silver, to shift back. Silver did as she was told. She took out her clothes from her bag and put them on before taking a pony to tie her hair into a ponytail.

She stepped out of the forest to see that she was now in front of billions of hotels and restaurants which all loomed down at her and their lights which blinded her. She needed to find a nice and decent apartment to get settled. She started walking slowly and soon came across a small little hotel which said "Grandma's residence". Even in the night, cobwebs could be seen and dust patches covered the entire place. Her gut told her that this was it so she walked inside.

The hotel smelled like cookies and felt nice and cozy but she still remained cautious. Clutching to the strap of her shoulder bag, she walked towards the empty desk which sat in the middle of the room and lightly pressed the button of the silver bell with a glint of metal which sat on it.

From beyond the room on her left, an old lady appeared. She was probably in her sixties with wrinkles on her hands and face and her curly hair grey. The lady had a name tag on her shirt and it read "Luciana". Hazel smiled back at her.

"So, what brings you here, child?" She asked Hazel in her crackly voice.

"Well, I just had my home renovated and I need a decent place to live so I'll be needing an apartment." Hazel explained while she nodded at her.

"Do you have anyone else with you? A guest or a lover?" Luciana asked and Hazel almost choked on her own spit at the last word.

"No ma'am." Hazel smiled, trying to hide her pain.

"And how long will you be staying here?" Luciana asked her.

Hazel shrugged "Haven't thought about it", she answered truthfully.

"Oh well come on let's find you a nice room." Luciana said and started walking away. Hazel followed her into some hallways and stairs.

"How many rooms are there in total?" Hazel asked.

"Eighty." The woman replied shortly and Hazel wasn't surprised, judging from its size.

She stopped in front of room number fifty nine and entered the key in the keyhole before clicking the lock open. She pushed the door and stepped aside to give Hazel a good view of the room. It consisted of a small bed, enough to fit a single person and a small mirror and table beside it. There was a built in cupboard and Hazel thought that it was perfect. She walked around the room and saw that there were two door, one which led to the kitchen and the other one leading to the bathroom. All the rooms were colored off white and were rather spacious and Hazel thought that she would soon fill it.

Hazel beamed at the old lady who stood there patiently at the door "It's perfect"

"Well, I'm glad you liked it. Anyways, here's the key and if you have any problems with it, please do inform me. I will try to fix it as soon as I can or change your room." Hazel nodded as she put the small metal key in her hand and walked out. Hazel locked the door and immediately jumped on the bed. It wasn't as bouncy nor as comfy as the one back at home but she liked it. Thinking about home, she realized that she forgot to update and tell what's been up to Scarlet.

She took out her phone and messaged her, "Hey, I found a new apartment. It's not better than ours but I can live with it. I'll find myself a job tomorrow. Wanted to tell you that I'm fine and nothing's wrong."

Immediately after, her phone ringed and the caller showed that it was her mom. She picked the call up and held the phone to her ear.

"Hey, mom" She said weakly.

"Hazel Grayson, you come back here right now!" Her mom exclaimed. She used her full name which meant that things were serious.

"I can't mom" She whispered. Silence followed till she heard sniffs and sobs.

"Mom?" Hazel asked now worried.

"I just wish things hadn't ended up like this. I wanted to give you a goodbye hug at least" Her mom sobbed out.

"It's okay mom. Things will get better, I promise. Besides, I just found myself a nice little apartment and I'll search for a job tomorrow" Hazel tried to calm her mom.

"You're right. Perhaps it is for the best. Just pray that no one notices the fact that you're missing tomorrow" Her mom chuckled.

"Mom there's loads of people who are going to be banished tomorrow. No one will notice that I'm missing" Hazel rolled her eyes.

"Yeah. I guess you're sleepy and tired now. I'll break the news to Williams tomorrow. Goodnight and love you!" Her mom said. Williams was her eighteen year old brother. He hasn't yet shifted and he will, this year.

"Love you too, mom" Hazel replied before she hung up.

She shut her phone off before connecting it to the charger and instantly, went to sleep.