Chapter 24: Who Is Isobel?

Start from the beginning

Damon gave a cocky smirk and guessed, "Dashing? Gorgeous? Irresistible?" He walked across the room and closed the space between him, Elena, and I. Elena noticed and stepped backward as she explained, "Wrecked. You look wrecked."

Damon mumbled out to her, "No reason why." He then looked over at me smirked, "You can't seem to get enough of me today. Do you know that I am one of Mystic Falls' most eligible bachelors?"

"Really?" I questioned out of confusion, replying to his second comment.

Damon nodded and replied simply, "Yep." He then turned around, grabbed a black button up shirt and stood in front of his mirror as he drunkenly struggled to get it on.

I honestly asked him, "Damon, are you sure you're okay?"

Damon continued to put on the button up shirt and answered, " Never better. Yep."
He then glanced at me through my reflection in the mirror and questioned out, "What can I do for you? I'm a barrel of favors today. It's my newfound purpose—how can I help people?"

Before I could answer Elena gave a simple response, "We're just meeting Stefan. The three of us are going to the fundraiser."

I watched Damon struggle to button up his shirt through his reflection in the mirror and found it kind of endearing but also saddening. He turned around and looked at me with a hopeful expression as he politely asked me, "Help a guy out, will you? Can't get this."

I nodded to him and rolled my eyes playfully at him as I heard Elena scoff. I walked over to him, grabbed the front of his shirt and slowly buttoned it up for him.

Elena took this as the opportune moment to have a heart to heart moment with Damon and excitedly announced, "I found out who my birth mother is."

"Eccch. Who cares?" Damon replied with zero interest in the matter. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Elena frowning from his response.

Damon elaborated, "She left you. She sucks." Something told me he was referring to Katherine more than Elena's mother but I decided not to comment.

As Elena remained silent as I finished buttoning his shirt. When I was on the last button I felt a large hand on top of mine. I looked up and saw that Damon was staring at me with a roguish expression. However, as soon as Elena called out, "Stefan. There you are" he moved his hand away.

I looked over at Stefan who was smiling adoringly at Elena. I moved away from Damon and walked over to them.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Damon struggling to get on his jacket as he jokingly spoke out, "Uhh. I need a bigger jacket." He then bitterly remarked to Stefan, "Wow. You know, an occasional sorority girl might, um, you know, help fill you out a little bit." He then tossed the jacket onto Stefan's bed and left the room.

I worriedly stared at the doorway, wishing there was something I could do to help ease his pain.

Elena bitterly remarked to me, "Don't stare at him like that. He's fine."

Stefan replied vaguely, "He's Damon."

"Maybe this heartache will be good for him. It'll remind him that he has one, even if it doesn't beat," Elena further added.