Chapter 12: No Remorse

"Do you know why dad has a bunch of mythology books?" Ander questioned, quirking his head to the side.

"No. Why?" I raised a brow confused.

"Look this over when you have the chance. Tyler and I stumbled upon it when we were looking through dad's stuff. He has some weird notes written in it..." Ander rambled, scratching the side of his head.

"Will do... Thanks...I think?" I stated quizzically as he simply turned his head,   nodded and left.

I pushed the book aside and sent Vicki a message asking if she was okay, before going to bed. I decided that I would look the book over another time. My friend was in danger.

The next day I decided to ditch school and help search for Vicki. I guess Elena had the same idea since she invited me to come with her to see Stefan. I'll admit going to his house was the last thing I wanted to do because I was hesitant to see Damon. I decided to push my discomfort aside because finding Vicki was important. Besides, Elena and Stefan would be there with me.

Once we got to their house Elena rang the door bell. The door opened to reveal Damon. I noticed his eyes widened slightly when they saw me. I couldn't tell what it meant which caused panic to rise in me.

"Is Stefan here?" Elena questioned, narrowing her eyes at Damon. I could tell she was just as uncomfortable with him as I was.

He sharply turned his gaze to Elena and said,"Yep!" 

"Where is he?" I asked stoically, trying to hide my nervousness.

"And good morning to you, little miss 'I'm on a mission," Damon joked, a grin tugged at the corners of his mouth. His playful comment took me aback. I stayed silent, mulling over what I could say.

"How can you be so arrogant and glib after everything that you've done?" Elena spat since I didn't respond. This prompted me to smirk.

"And how can you be so brave and stupid to call a vampire arrogant and glib? " Damon spoke looking between Elena and I as he leaned on the doorway.

"If you wanted us dead, we'd be dead. You made that clear with all the students in the cemetery," I stated with confidence. I wasn't going to let it slide that he killed all of those people.

"Yes, you would," Damon agreed, his eyes flickered between mine then at my mouth.

"But we're not," I pressed further. Feeling a bit more confident I moved forward to show him that I wasn't intimidated by him. I definitely was though. Damon definitely was a wild card, so challenging him probably wasn't the smartest thing for me to do.

"Yet," He flashed a smile as we stared at each other. It was dead silent and I felt myself getting lost in his ocean blue eyes.

"Where is Stefan?" Elena reiterated, breaking the tension between the eldest Salvatore brother and I. I blinked a couple times then then looked over at my friend.

"He's upstairs singing 'The rain in Spain.' Knock yourself out," Damon quipped and Elena gave me a worried look before going up stairs leaving me alone with him.

"Ever since we had fun and Vicki gained purpose in her life you've been avoiding me," Damon commented as soon as Elena  was out of ear shot.

Crossing my arms, I took a step back. "You call killing people fun?" I gritted my teeth together, and hissed. I felt the uneasiness build up in me again.

He simply smirked with his hands on his hips like he was pleased with my comment. This caused me to add, "Do you seriously find this funny?"

"No. No. It's just that you're afraid of me. It's rather amusing," He admitted as I stared into his dilated eyes.

I scoffed, "Don't you feel any remorse for what you've done?" How is he even related to Stefan?

"I've been alive for a really long time. I don't have anymore remorse." He gruffly spoke, moving closer to me.

"I find that hard to believe. I think that one day you're going to wake up, all of this is going to hit you, and you're going to need a friend," I breathily said, noticing how close he was to me.

"Don't even try to get in my head. Vampires are different than humans. We feel differently about certain things," He said almost with a guttural growl.

I rolled my eyes at his hostility and replied, "You were once human. I highly doubt those human emotions go away when you become a vampire. Besides, Stefan exhibits so much humanity, I still find it hard to believe that he's a vampire."

The mention of his brother aggravated him. I could tell as soon as I saw his nostrils flair and his chiseled jaw clench. With disappointment he murmured, "Don't compare me to my brother."

Before I could apologize, he sauntered past me, leaving me feeling guilty.

For someone who claims that vampires don't feel the same as humans, he seemed rather distressed when I brought up Stefan. I sighed softly then went inside the Salvatore house.

As the day went on Stefan was trying to push his ideals towards Vicki but Vicki just wasn't taking them. I decided to leave once Damon came back because there was no way I was going to deal with him again. I clearly made him mad and didn't want to make the situation worse.

Word count: 923