Chapter 16: Remember

My ears were ringing when I woke up to the sound of Damon's voice laced with desperation, "I don't care about them. I just want Katherine."

I slowly opened my eyes to see that he was no longer impaled by a branch. As I slowly sat up I noticed Stefan was there as well.

Grimacing from the pain in my back, I watched as Stefan scolded his brother and grabbed him tightly, "I knew I shouldn't have believed a single word that comes out of your mouth. This isn't about love, is it? This is about revenge."

"The two aren't mutually exclusive," Damon mumbled trying to break out of Stefan's grasp, still weak from being empaled.

"Damon, you can't do this!" Stefan shouted at his older brother.

"Why not? They killed 27 people, and they called it a war battle. They deserve whatever they get," Damon shouted back pushing Stefan.

"27 vampires, Damon. They were vampires. You can't just bring them back," Stefan clarified.

My eyes widened in realization that Damon wanted to release 27 vampires into mystic falls just so he could get Katherine! He was using me... I felt my heart sink. Why was I so jealous? He's a bad person.

"This town deserves this," Damon spat and I furrowed my brows. Part of me desperately wanted to believe that he only said this in the heat of the moment.

"You're blaming innocent people for something that happened 145 years ago," Stefan spat out, getting closer to Damon's face as Damon grabbed Stefan harshly.

"There is nothing innocent about these people, and don't think for a second it won't happen again. They already know too much, and they'll burn your little grandwitch right next to us when they find out. Trust me," Damon shoved Stefan and pointed to Emily.

"Things are different now," Emily spoke up as she drew a pentagram in the ground.

"Don't do this," Damon desperately begged to Emily.

"I can't free them. I won't," Emily stated plainly before she shouted out, "Incendia!"

The pentagram Emily drew in the ground set ablaze. Large roaring flames created a wall between Emily and everyone else. I watched as Emily yanked the necklace off her neck and held it up.

Damon got on his knees and cried out, "No....no...please."

"Bonnie!" Elena shouted running over to where the Salvatore brothers and I were. Damon turned his head expecting to just see Elena but he saw me concious and a look of relief washed over his face when we locked eyes.

The moment didn't last that long. He turned his attention back to Emily as she threw the necklace into the air, and it exploded above us. I heard Damon shout out in agony and it honestly made me feel bad for him.

Once the spell was completed and the crystal was destroyed, the fire died out. Emily must've departed from Bonnie's body because Bonnie looked around in horror, having no idea what had just occurred.

"Bonnie!" I shouted and rushed to her as soon as I saw Damon rushing to her as well. Somehow I managed to beat him and in a split second I felt searing hot pain in my neck. Then I heard Bonnie scream in horror at what was happening.

"Oh god! Arina!" Elena shouted out as I felt a searing hot pain grow in my neck. Damon was digging in his fangs. This caused me to shriek out of fear. "Damon! S-stop please," I cried out.

Stefan must've sped over and pulled Damon off of me because I no longer felt Damon's fangs in my neck. As soon as his fangs parted from my neck, I felt myself fall to the ground. I stared at Damon in horror. Strangely enough, his eyes reflected the same emotion mine had. He seemed like he was horrified by what he had done.