ten

Pleasant surprise? Yes? No? Maybe? Either way, you're welcome! Although, some do call me crazy for managing to write so much in so little time. But I'm not crazy, kasam sey. I'm blessed. Say Ma Shaa Allah xD

I'm aware that my chapters are too long and while I do honestly try to cut them down, I still end up with chapters long enough for a published book. That being said, please, PLEASE take breaks while reading if you're too tired to continue. I don't want any of you to read the story half-heartedly and not enjoy it fully, and if you're forcing yourself to read, please don't. Set another time for reading. I promise I don't mind <3

Chapter 10 | Evanescent

Wahdan sat perched on a three-legged stool, a small smile grazing his lips, his eyes roving over the canvas as Vajeeha painted over it in smooth strokes

Wahdan sat perched on a three-legged stool, a small smile grazing his lips, his eyes roving over the canvas as Vajeeha painted over it in smooth strokes. The sight had completely enchanted him; he found the magic in the way Vajeeha managed to create a masterpiece out of dirty glass bottles of sticky paint. Artists-no matter if their outlet was using a pen or paintbrush-deserved a special place among their people for managing to harbor their escapes so magnificently.

Wahdan had, prior to being with Vajeeha, been on the phone with a client and since the principle of lawyer-client confidentiality prevented Vajeeha from being in the same room as them, she had resorted to renewing her artistic abilities in the living room. Wahdan had walked into a surprise, with a very disheveled Vajeeha sitting before the canvas, painting a mesmerizing sunset. He had kissed the side of her head and had taken a set next to her, resorting to just watching her as she worked her magic. There were times in life when one fell short for words. This was, rightfully so, one such time for him.

When Vajeeha was done, she raised her chin in satisfaction and turned to Wahdan, her eyes sparkling. Wahdan observed her for a moment-hair falling out of her bun, her hands greased in paint, a few lazy strokes of orange and pink decorating her face. He smiled at her.

"What do you think?" She asked him, her eyes sparkling in delight.

"It's beautiful, ma shaa Allah. I love it."

"Honest?"

Wahdan reached forward, and took her hand in his, squeezing it reassuringly. "Honest."

A pink flush spread across her cheeks, and had Wahdan not been looking at her so closely, he would have entirely missed it.

"This is the first time I picked up a paintbrush in months," Vajeeha sighed. "And to be honest, I was scared of what the outcome would be."

"You did a wonderful job, love. Why do you say that?"

Vajeeha frowned, adding some finishing touches to her painting. "I've been dreading getting back to this for a long time now. You know what went down with Baba. It was just me, letting go of all I once loved to do to make ends meet."