three

Chapter 03 | Catalyst

Zidan finished up his prayers, and as he crossed his legs beneath him, he leaned forward and raised his hands up in Du'a

Zidan finished up his prayers, and as he crossed his legs beneath him, he leaned forward and raised his hands up in Du'a. Even though he wasn't the most spiritual person ever, and often missed his prayers amongst the business of his daily life, he still strived to pray on time, with full concentration and dedication. It was one aspect of his life he still worked on and struggled with, despite maturing and mastering other areas.

Isha was a tricky affair for him, and by the time he got home from the airport around midnight, he'd be too knocked out to actually pray, and would just slump in his bed and doze off.

Quite aware that Mubaraka had many times told him off about missing his prayers, he still tried his best.

But today, today was the day that would rule over all future days to come. He prayed Tahajjud before Fajr, read a few extra beads of Tasbeeh, and specifically made Du'a that the events of the day would unfold as he hoped they would.

He folded his prayer mat and got up just as his younger sister, Mehak barged into the room.

Mehak was big on looking, talking, even dressing up as a boy. She had her hair cropped up to a pixie, dyed blue at the tips, had four studs in each ear, and wore a simple outfit of a flannel button-down over a black t-shirt and jeans. Zidan supposed that's what happened when a sister borrowed her brother's clothes without his permission. He was about to tell her off for doing so but shook the irritation away.

Mehak gave him a large grin. "You ready?"

"If this really is what ready look like," he replied, referring to the lines of missed sleep under his eyes and his clammy hands.

Mehak sat down on Zidan's bed, bouncing a little. "I got them to sit in the living room. They, however, kept asking what the big deal was. Dad has work to do and Mum has a tea party to attend. You really have to hurry."

"Nice to know how far down my place is in their list of priorities," he mumbled.

"They need to get them straight, agreed. But neither are you a baby anymore."

Zidan stared at Mehak with narrowed eyes, as if she'd suddenly grown a horn on her head.

"On the contrary," Mehak continued. "I don't see any reason for them to disapprove, keeping in mind they've seen how you and Mubaraka are fond of each other."

"With Mama, you never know." Zidan rubbed a hand over his face. "So many times, she's looked at her with a disapproving glare. I recall pretty well how at Wahdan's wedding, when Mubaraka was getting her picture taken on the stage, Mama kept talking about how green didn't really suit her and she looked like a walking cucumber."