two

Disclaimer: I write long chapters. Like really long chapters.

Chapter 02 | Alexithymia

"Bhabhi, what did you ask for as your Mahr?" Mubaraka questioned, her eyes following as Vajeeha as the latter used her fingers to knead the cookie dough

"This is a good one! Okay, okay so-"

"What is a good one?" Wahdan asked, sauntering into the kitchen with his laptop tucked under his arm, and a small pile of pens and pencils in one hand. He set the stationary down on the counter and slid into the empty seat next to Mubaraka.

"Me and Mubaraka are playing twenty questions," Vajeeha answered, pushing an escaped strand of hair away from her face with her arm. "It is Mubaraka's turn to ask the question."

"Woah, woah, woah. Isn't twenty questions the game every newly married Wattpad couple plays? And they ask each other cheesy questions like 'who's your first crush?'"

"Absolutely!" Mubaraka agreed. "And then when the guy recalls a girl he probably doesn't even remember the name of, the girl be all 'oh I thought you were a decent practicing Muslim, I can't believe you'd betray me like this' and the guy is secretly questioning why the writer had to pair him up with such a dumb person to begin with."

"Hey! I don't blame the girl!" Vajeeha exclaimed. "If Wahdan ever confessed crushing on someone before our marriage, I would track her down and make sure she disappears off the face of the earth and is never seen again."

Violent, are we?

As soon as Vajeeha had spoken the sentence and the words hung in the air around the three of them, a blush crept up to Wahdan's neck, and Mubaraka smirked at him. The brother-sister shared a glance, and Mubaraka coughed, a cover-up for her for the laughter that was rumbling in her chest.

"Mm-hmm? Really?" Wahdan mumbled.

"Of course. How dare she even look at my man?!"

Wahdan's grin took over the entirety of his clean-shaven face, and he had to lower his head so Vajeeha couldn't see the corners of his eyes crinkling in sheer joy. A warmth spread through Mubaraka's chest at witnessing the sight before her, and she internalized a sincere prayer for the two.

"Vajeeha, how about you answer Mubaraka's question?" Wahdan asked, attempting to shift the attention away from him.

"Oh yes! What was it, Mubaraka? Something about my Mahr?" Vajeeha asked, her eyes on the mound of dough in her hand that she'd scooped up and was no flattening it a little.