Chapter Thirty Three

"Retweet," I mumble as I scroll through twitter.

Social media amazes me at times. Half of the stuff I'm seeing is beyond useless for me to know, yet I thrive off of reading through it. I don't know how my parents lived without twitter or instagram because, as embarrassing as it is, I wouldn't know what to do without my phone.

I shift on my bed, curling onto my side as I continue to scroll through my phone. Bruce and Angel grumble when I stretch my foot into their personal space.

"My bed," I mutter in response.

"Hey pumpkin," my dad says, appearing by the doorway to my room.

I set my phone down and smile at him, "What's up?"

He tries to smile back at me, but it doesn't reach his regretful eyes. I scrunch my brow and tilt my head, "Everything okay, dad?"

He looks down and closes his eyes. "Come downstairs, Reagan."

My heart falls at his hopeless tone and I quickly stand up and walk towards him, but he turns and starts down the steps, and I follow after him.

My heartbeat reaches unhealthy speeds when I see my mom sitting on the couch looking tired and as though she's given up.

"Sit down sweetheart," dad says, trying to smile lightly at me.

I gulp and sit down next to my mom, and she has to avoid looking at me.

"What's this about?" I ask.

But I know.

"Sweetheart, your mother and I have been arguing a lot lately," dad starts, "and I know you know that. We've tried to keep it from you, but we would be naive to think you don't know."

My blood goes cold and I snap my eyes to my mom as she speaks up.

Please don't say it, mom.

"We've tried to make things work for you, Reagan. But...we just can't get along. We aren't happy together anymore," she breathes, her eyes tight on mine. "This is so hard for us to tell you, sweetheart," she says, her brows pulled together in worry.

Please don't say it.

"We're getting a divorce."

My body goes numb. My mind goes blank. My eyes unfocus. My breath goes away.

A divorce.

"Your father is moving out this weekend."

He's leaving.

"I found an apartment just a few minutes away, you can come visit whenever you want."

Visit

Visit my dad. Not live with him, visit him.

Their words keep piercing through me. I don't want to hear this anymore.

I abruptly stand up and, without really comprehending what I'm doing, I grab my car keys and run out of the house with my parents calling after me. Bruce tries to run after me, but he isn't able to get down the steps without the help of Angel who stays by the door with my parents holding her back.

Instead he barks after me and starts whining when he can't get to me, but that's the least of my worries.

I throw myself into my car and drive away, finally becoming aware of the tears staining my cheeks. I dial Chloe's number and she picks up on the third ring.