Chapter Eleven

Cover by CD_wolf_girl

Chapter Eleven

"I can't believe you spilled it." Duncan deadpans as we clean up the large coffee stain spread across his floor.

I came into his classroom this morning in desperate need of some coffee since I was up until three with loads and loads of homework. Then Bruce and Angel woke me up at five to let them out of my room, and I wasn't able to fall back asleep until 30 minutes before my alarm. I got so excited when Duncan handed my coffee to me that I just kind of dropped it...

It was tragic.

"I'm sorry, I'm just as upset as you, trust me." I sigh, grabbing another paper towel.

He sits back on his legs and sighs deeply. "My room is going to smell like coffee for the rest of the day."

"Hey, at least you had your coffee. That smell will be taunting me all class." I grumble, throwing away the wet and sticky paper towels, drenched in my nightmarish failure.

"Well maybe you shouldn't be so clumsy." He says, and I scowl at him.

I glance down at the previous stain marked tile and sigh. "Do I owe you the money for that coffee?"

"Have you ever owed me money for a coffee?"

I shrug and walk towards my desk. "Good point," I quip as I sit down.

Pulling my sketch book from under my desk, I place it delicately atop the table and line up my colored pencils next to it. I flip to the page that holds the colorless drawing, begging to be filled with more than just the gray shading of my pencil.

It's a simple drawing of a house on the beach- my dream house. It's nothing too extravagant, but enough for me to know I'll need a well paying job to ever afford a house like this.

I color the house itself a light blue, fitting in especially well with the orange sunset I have drawn on the horizon of the emerald sea. There are rocking chairs on the decks of the house and a small sandcastle on the sandy beach in front, with buckets and shovels littered around it. I guess when I was drawing it I was in the mindset I would have young kids at the time I built the house.

"You missed a spot."

I jump out of my skin and lift my head so fast I think I broke my neck. Hayden has one hand on the backs of each of our chairs and is looking over my shoulder at my drawing.

"Do you mind?" I snap, leaning away from him since his head is hovering just above mine.

His eyes shift from the drawing to me and he grins. "Not at all."

I bite my tongue and close my sketchbook, the delicate cover landing atop the skillful pages. I glance around the classroom and am completely surprised to see everyone in their seats. I completely lost track of time. When did class even start?

"How come you don't have coffee this morning?" Hayden asks as he slides into his seat. He has his shirt sleeves rolled up enough to reveal his forearms- beautiful muscular veins on full display.

I pout when I remember my mishap with gripping my coffee earlier. "I did. It just decided to betray me and spill all over the floor."

He raises a brow at me and nods slowly. "Alright then."

I yawn and cover up my mouth with the back of my hand. "It's tragic actually, I really could have used that boost."

Hayden looks questioningly over at me. "Not enough sleep?"