Chapter Twenty Six

Beautifully made cover done by NvrEndingStory She did such a good job :)

We are making our way to #1! #27 right now

Chapter Twenty Six

"Why are you drawing lilies?" Duncan asks, leaning against my desk with his signature coffee in hand.

His question has a small smile filling my lips and I try to bite it back. Duncan is very observant and I don't need him asking questions like Chloe.

When Hayden and I went back inside yesterday, after his blow-up on his mom's boyfriend, Hayden apologized to the two of them and gave Kyle a chance. Turns out, he really did love Kyle. Just like Patty said

What can I say? The mom is always right.

Hayden may not have been the biggest fan of Kyle's boisterous and cheesy personality, but I could tell that he approved of the way he treated his mom. He was always by her side, always holding her hand or sending her a tender smile, and Hayden took notice.

We left after dinner, and I felt as if I was leaving my own family. Patty really took a liking to me, and I absolutely loved her. She was the perfect mix of sarcasm and love, and she made me feel at home.

Hayden dropped me off around 9 last night, and I walked inside to my parents prepared with interrogation questions to find out just what I was doing all day with Hayden.

I snap out of my thoughts and answer Duncan. "I bought some yesterday and thought they were really beautiful."

Duncan sips his coffee and nods, crossing his arms. "I heard from a little birdy that you went to meet Hayden's mom?"

My eyes snap up towards him and I blink, "How did you hear about that?"

He chuckles, "You aren't the only one of my students who likes to talk to me, Reagan."

---

Skipping towards my locker, the coffee that Mr. Duncan rewarded me with this morning doing its job in making me a hyper mess, I see Hayden smirking next to my locker with his cocky gaze settled on me.

I grin and stand in front of him with my arms crossed and one brow cocked. I place one hand out and give him a pointed stare- I know he got into my locker again. When he does, he has this sort of giddy look in his eye.

"Fork it over."

"Fork what over?" He asks, feigning innocence. "My heart? Cupcake you've already got that," he winks.

I don't know what it is about his winks, but they are so freaking sexy. They make my heart skip and beat and it's as if they automatically trigger a blush to spread over my entire face.

Somehow I connect with my brain and roll my eyes, blowing past his arrogantly flirtatious, yet utterly desirable, statement.

"The letter," I clarify.

He chuckles and pulls it from his back pocket, "I'm getting too predictable."

"How do you even find the time to break into my locker?"

"I'm good with time management," he replies smoothly.

I trail my finger along the edges of my letter as I reply. "So, what did your mom have to say about me?"

He throws his hands into his pockets, "She called me this morning, actually. She wanted to make sure I didn't screw up and make you hate me."

I start laughing at his statement and I see the remnants of a grin from on him from the crinkle next to his lips.