Apocalypse 2

The girls were still asleep. I'd been awake for hours preparing for our departure. We were low on food and it was time for them to get home. I'd made several weapons for our travels to use just incase someone tried anything. It hurt to say I was disappointed in our nation, we still hadn't recovered from this shitty time. It had been months.

We were able to contact their families for a short period of time, letting them know they were alright. I didn't have anyone to call, my mom maybe but I knew she'd never answer. The whole Netflix thing didn't last long either, it shut down all power in the store every thirty minutes. I figured I wasn't so tech savvy.

Carrying my spiked bat along with several knives in a holster, I went to wake the girls. "Girls, it's time to get up," I projected. They each woke up slowly, wanting to sleep more. "Seriously, I need you all dressed and packed up so we can leave," I said. "Where are we going?" Lauren yawned. Sighing at this nearly impossible mission, I looked her in the eyes. "I'm taking you guys home, get up and get dressed," I demanded.

Lauren laughed doubtfully. "We're in some random ass Walmart in Ohio. Camz and I live in Florida, Dj in California, and Ally and Mani in Texas," she giggled, stating the obvious. I nodded. "Let's face it, we're gonna die here," Lauren sighed lying back down. My blood boiled hearing those words leave her sweet lips. How could she think that way? "Don't fucking say that. Get the fuck up--all of you, now," I snapped aggressively. They exchanged looks, quickly hopping up from fear.

As they dressed, I added more knives to my holster. I needed to be as armed as possible. Dinah walked over to me, concerned about me. "Hey," she said. "Sup," I replied, twirling around a pair of kitchen knives. "Sup with you? You're acting different," she said. "I'm not? I'm just trying to get you all home, we can't stay here anymore. We'll just die," I replied. "Would that be so bad? Look at the world now, dying is the least of our worries," she sighed. "If any of you died, I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I could've saved you," I said, dramatically placing the knives back in the holster. "So that's what this is about? You're stuck on the idea of you being our savior. You're not, you are human just like us and you could die as well. Don't you ever think about yourself?" She asked.

I scoffed, picking up my bat. "I'm not joking? Do you think we can't handle ourselves? You really think that little of us?" She asked. "I'm just trying to get you home! Jesus fucking Christ am I committing a crime by wanting you all safe?" I yelled, scaring her. "I didn't say that, I'm just worried about you. When you take us home where will you go?" She asked. "I-I-I don't know...I don't care, I just need to get you guys home. End of discussion," I concluded, brushing past her.

I knew she only wanted me safe, but I wasn't the priority. I had them pack up the rest of the food and drinks for the road. I even equipped them with weapons to defend themselves if I weren't able to. We gather at the back door of the store, exchanging a few questionable looks. "Okay," I sighed, "let's head out."