"Thank you for dinner Mrs. Matthews but I should get going." Maya said as she grabbed her napkin from her lap and threw it on the table.

"Maya." Josh pleaded as he got up from the table to follow her but was pulled back down by Savannah. Josh watched as Maya grabbed her bag and left the house without another word.
~
It was well past midnight and Maya had ignored all the phone calls that she had gotten from Josh and Riley that night. She was laying on her bed staring at the ceiling when she heard a faint tapping sound on her window. Maya looked over to see Josh slightly wave at her. Maya rolled her eyes and rolled over on to her other side so her back was facing the mirror.

"Common Maya, please open the window. I just want to talk." Maya laid still and ignored him. "Please?" He asked in such a tone that sounded like a little boy pleading for help. Maya sighed as she got up and turned her lamp on, opening the window for him.

"Is it because I'm not in college?" Maya asked strait up.

"Maya." Josh warned as he climbed through the window and closed it back.

"No. I'm genuinely curious as to why all this time you have told me we can't be together because of a three year age difference yet, you go out and start dating a girl that is the same age as me and the only difference is she's in college and I'm not." Maya snapped. Josh sighed and stepped towards Maya but she stepped back. Josh opened his mouth so say something but Maya cut him off. "And what the heck was that little stunt you pulled back at dinner tonight!? Are you insane! You don't get to just bring a girl over to the house and then act like you and I are the couple!"

"Well if you would let me talk then I can explain!" Josh snapped back with annoyance in his tone. Maya huffed and crossed her arms over her chest as she walked out of her room into the kitchen. Josh looked at her like she was crazy.

"Shawn and my mom are out of town for the next couple of days." She explained as she ignored his attempts to grab her.

"Look, Savannah was a girl that I met the first couple of days back at school. She was an incredible girl to hang out with and the more we hung out the more I started to become interested in her. I asked her out on one date and after that I asked her to be my girlfriend because yes, I like her. I'm sorry I met someone else but nowhere in our deal did we say we couldn't go out and date other people." Josh said as Maya leaned against the counter with a glass of water in her hand.

"Josh this isn't about the fact that you are now with someone else. This is because after all the constant arguing we have done about age, you go out and date someone who is the same age as me. If you don't want to be with me then just say it don't cut corners and do this crap!" Maya yelled starting to raise her voice.

"I do want to be with you Maya, just not right now! Your still in high school!" Josh yelled starting to raise his own voice.

"So what your telling me is this had nothing to do with age in the first place, this had to do with my grade level. What am I not smart enough, Josh?" Maya asked sarcastically.

"Dang it Maya! Stop putting words in my mouth that is not what I am saying!" Josh yelled banging his hand down on the counter.

"Then what are you saying Josh!"

"I don't see how this is such a big deal! First Riley lectured me about it and now you can't get over it! Ok I'm sorry I'm dating someone who is the same age as you but maybe I don't think age is such a big deal anymore!"

"Then why are you with her and not me?"

"Because your still in high school and she's not!" Maya chucked bitterly.