Chapter 1: First Drifts

Start from the beginning

Ryosuke smiled, "I'm glad you asked, here, listen."

He opened the glove compartment and drew a cassette.

Ryosuke put it in the cassette player and hit play.

------------------

Thomas Friedland:

------------------

------------------

(Video above plays)

"I was 18, which was 25 years ago." Ryosuke explained, "In those days, only the fastest ruled the Toge, or the mountain passes. On my way back from a medical conference, I found an S13 driving on Usui."

"You two battled?"

"It was back in my lone wolf days, I was becoming the White Comet of Akagi. I was just driving, he started going really fast and..."

-Usui Pass, 1990. Midnight.-

The cassette began to play, "This FC is driving super fast! The S13 is slipping!!"

"Wait. Someone was recording the battle?" Thomas asked.

"There was this red S30 Fairlady following us, I didn't know he was recording it."

"These two are really fighting it out! This S13 can barely hang on when entering a corner!"

"What's a corner?" Thomas asked.

"A sharp curve you have to drift on, they're also called hairpins."

...

Ryosuke shifted gears, turning heavily and drifting left behind the S13, pressing right up to his bumper.

The brown haired S13 driver looked in his rear view mirror and grunted,'This guy's fast!'

Ryosuke understood the situation immediately, his black hair hanging above his calculating eyes.

The FC flew around a corner, the car's tires screeching.

"I can barely keep up with both of them! They're going so fast!!" The S30 driver said.

Ryosuke looked at the bumper of the S13, gripping the steering wheel and concentrating on the battle.

The S13 whipped around a turn, drifting quickly.

The FC began to increase in speed, Ryosuke pressing the 13-BT rotary engine.

Ryosuke started to drift incredibly well, especially for his first time battling.

He smiled and said, "This battle's mine, I just have to choose when to pass him, and I'll win."

The S13 driver started to get nervous, pressing the gas and accelerating through the drift, failing to loose Ryosuke who still followed him into the corner.