Part 17. The Hard Truth.

"Yeah, sure, I promise. What is it?" Jordan curled her legs up so that her head was resting on her knees.
"Well actually...as far as I know, Christmas day is my birthday." Ash was about to exclaim with surprise when he paused.
"As far as you know? What do you mean?" Jordan glanced at him and took a shaky breath.
"I...I don't know my exact birthday. I was orphaned hours after I was born, and I lived in an orphanage till I was seven years old, which was when I was adopted by this couple who were desperate to have a kid...they were the ones who named me Jordan...I don't know what my birth parents named me..." Ash was stunned. He had no idea that this was what Jordan was going to tell him, but he certainly wasn't expecting this.
"I had no idea..."
"Only because I don't like telling people. So many people judge orphaned kids, say that they're rotten, good for nothing troublemakers...this one lady, who was one of my new aunts, she even called me a 'feral Mankey child' when she saw me for the first time." Jordan let out an almost bitterly sad laugh, before her gaze fell to the floor.
"I...I'm sorry you had to go through that..." Ash almost whispered.
"It's not like you kicked me around for being different...you've been so kind, even now knowing that I grew up in an orphanage..." Jordan looked up at Ash, her eyes locking with his. "Thank you, Ashworth..." Ash felt himself turn bright red, but before he could say anything Jordan stood up and briefly rubbed her eyes. "This is why I love Christmas so much...it's both the only thing connecting me to my real parents, and it's a time of so much happiness and kindness, and that's all I ever wanted in life..." Jordan turned to face Ash once more. "Anyway, enough sappiness. Why don't we work to make this the best Christmas either of us have ever had?" With a smile, Ash nodded.
"That sounds like a great idea."