Chapter 5: Who You Love

Comenzar desde el principio

“Thanks babe.” He smiled again. I hold on to his arm and pulled him closer and gave him a quick kiss on the cheeks.

“I love you,” I said to his ears.

“I love you too.” He responded.

The game was close and it was down to the last possession of the game. It’s ROS ball and Jeric was on the floor. Jeric’s team is a point behind the other team. The way the Elasto painters are moving, the play was for Jeric.

It was down to 5 seconds and the ball is with Jeric. In a fragment of a second, I saw him look to my direction and search for my eyes. When he found me, I smiled at him, assuring him that everything will be alright no matter what happen to that ball.

He released the ball and it excruciatingly roll around the ring. Then it went out.

I look at Jeric. He’s expression was blank but his eyes say burning disappointment. I wanted to run to him, hug him and tell him that it’s alright.

As the other team rejoice, Jeric remained to where he was standing when he took the shot. He was looking down. I need not to see his face. I know he’s blaming himself for his team’s loss. Kuya Jeff Chan pulled him to their bench when the team noticed he was still there.

His teammates came to Jeric and gave him pats on the back. I watch as them as they say something to Jeric.

“Dichi, you want to go to him?” I heard Almira said from my side.

I turned to her and automatically nodded. As Almira and I pass by the Tengs, I know they also saw Jeric and his heartbreaking loss.

When I reached the dugout, Jeric’s other teammates were already out. Kuya TY Tang, Kuya Gabe Norwood, Kuya Jeff Chan and Jeric were the only ones left. They were all silent when Almira and I came in. I nodded to the others and went directly to Jeric.

He’s already changed to his T-shirt and he’s sitting silently on one side.

I saw his towel beside his bag. I took it and sat beside him. I gently wiped the sweat from the side of his cheeks. He was startled with my actions. But when he found out it was me, he let me do it.

“You were great Jec. You did your best.” I said while still wiping his face.

“Huh!” He scoffed mockingly. “So I guess my best wasn’t just enough.”

“It was. For me and for your family.” I said to him.

“C’mon let’s go,” Jeric said grumpily and stood up. He picked his bag up.

I know he’s not yet ready to talk about so I just let it go. I’ll just be right here whenever he needs me. I caught up with him and held his hand. He took it and held it tightly.

That would be enough for me. He wants me to be with him.

After the early team dinner, it’s still around quarter to 6 in the evening, Jeric and I went back to the hotel.

“Jec, pahinga ka na muna.” I told him when we reached the lobby of the hotel.

Jeric and Jeron are sharing a room, while Almira and Achi Alyssa on another room. Of course Tita Susan and Tito Alvin is in one room. And I got a separate room for myself.

“I’ll walk you to your room first,” Jeric said monotonously.

I didn’t argue and let him guide me. He was still holding on to my hand.

When we were in front of my door I gave him my key and he opened it. He ushered me inside. But I didn’t went in completely. We are standing face to face, I’m inside and he’s outside of the door.