Chapter 2

{Reader's POV}

As I moved my tired hand, I felt a cold fabric rub against my skin. The sensation was unfamiliar to me and sent my eyes fluttering open.

I looked around my surroundings and noticed I was laying on a hospital bed.

I raised an eyebrow and, as I tried to get up, a strike of pain flew straight to my head. I winced and clutched my head with my hands as I tried to comprehend what happened.

I didn't remember much though. Just knew I went for a late night walk and went inside an alleyway for some reason...

The alleyway.

My eyes shot open and I gripped the bed sheets under me. Panic surged through my veins and my heart pounded in my chest.

*knock* *knock*

My head thrusted towards the door and I almost felt myself faint from the abrupt sound.

"C..Come in..", I said with a raspy voice and coughed.

A middle-aged woman dressed in scrubs walked into my room and smiled warmly as she noticed I was wide awake.

"Sorry for waking you honey. I just need to check your blood pressure, is that alright? If you want I'll just wait until you're asleep", the nurse asked and it took me a moment to comprehend what was going on. I shook my head and tried to return the smile.

"No, no, I'm fine... I don't mind", I said in a soft whisper and the nurse nodded her head respectfully. She walked over to a monitor near my bed and switched it on. Her hand gently touched my arm and she wrapped a black blood pressure gauge around my arm. After the machine beeped the woman frowned.

"It seems you're still shaken up from last night... At least your physical wounds are healing up nicely", the nurse responded and I nervously smiled back. She let out a sigh and began taking the gauge off my arm.

"Uh... what happened after the police came..? Did they catch him..?", my voice echoed through the room and the nurse knitted her eyebrows in response.

"No, unfortunately they didn't. But they were able to rescue you both before anything else could go wrong. The media are making a huge ruckus out of this too..", the nurse shook her head as if she was displeased and began mumbling something to herself.

"Both of us..? The boy's alive..?", I asked worriedly and the nurse's mood suddenly brightened up.

"Thanks to you honey! He's a floor below us and recovering just like you. His parents are extremely grateful you were able to save him at the last minute!", the nurse rambled on and I sunk back in the bed in relief.

"That's great—", my sentence was cut off when the door suddenly swung open.

A group of men with large cameras flooded the room and crowded around me. They roughly shoved the nurse behind them and some held their microphones close to my face.

"Miss (L/N)! Did you see the killer up close?! If so, what did he look like?!"

"What were you doing that night?! How were you able to find the killer during one of his rampages?!"

"Is it true he only kills children?!"

"The parents of the surviving child said that the boy described the perpetrator as 'clown-like', do you have any comments on that?!"

Microphones poked at my face and I defensively raised my hands to shield my eyes from the harsh flash of lights. Suddenly, during all the mayhem, a group of police officers swarmed in the room and roughly dragged every one of the reporters and journalists away. The nurse dusted herself off and immediately locked the door, leaving only one officer behind the crowd.