Chapter 16

"My son is dead, he wasn't an angel but still, he was my son." Brendan King dried his tears with his sleeve. What will I tell his mother, his brother and sister? They will be devastated."

"If I had another choice I ... He shot a pregnant girl just to get revenge. I love her and I did what my instincts told me. I am really sorry, if there was another way I would have done things differently." Chris sat across from Brendan King. The man looked older than he was when he arrived earlier that day.

"Why did he want to kill the girl? What did he need revenge for?" Brendan asked in a soft tone.

"I don't know how to tell you this. I don't want it to affect how you felt about your son."

"Just tell me."

Chris looked at the forty something year old man and sighed. "About six months ago my friend Jason was in a park. Ryan had planned it all carefully, his plan was to get a teacher to keep the girl late at school and when she left it was dark and she went through the park because it was the shortest route home. Seconds before she had to go through the park Ryan fought with Jason, his wounds were fatal and Ryan left him for dead. As you know Jason had to do something to keep his bloodline alive and at that moment Lisa walked through the park. She said she saw Ryan by one of the entrances. He said something to her. Lisa was raped by Jason, but you know he did it to safe him bloodline. I found him minutes later and he asked me to keep her safe and I promised that I would. I followed her for weeks and when I knew she was pregnant I helped her with everything. Her mother found out and told her to leave her house and never return. I took her in and then Ryan started to threaten her and I decided to take her away. Ryan found her with the help of one of our own." Chris shook from anger. "The rest you know."

"You said revenge but didn't explain."

"Lisa the girl Jason impregnated, she is your daughter." Chris saw Brendan's face fall. More tears ran down Brendan's face. "Ryan said it was because her mother told your wife about the affair. Jason was just a pawn, Lisa was the real target." Chris could see the man was angry and hurt and sad all at the same time. "I am really sorry."

Brendan dried his tears again. "How is she, Lisa?"

"Better, she was shot in her side but the bullet missed all vital organs and it missed the baby. Doc operated to get the bullet out four days ago and she was asleep until today. She is up and walking around."

"That is good. Do you think I could meet her at some point?" Brendan played with the ring on his finger. "I never met her, her mother and me met at a work thing and it didn't last long. I saw her one day walking with the girl and her husband and I just knew the girl was mine. She looked like my daughter Mandy, almost exactly. I saw Jordan again a few months later and she confirmed that I was the father but that she didn't want anyone to know and she wasn't planning on telling her daughter ever. She said that I should respect her wishes. I offered to pay for the girls schooling and everything but she said that she didn't want to explain to her husband where the money came from. Ryan was about thirteen when she Jordan walked up to us at a restaurant and just there told my wife that she and I had an affair and that my children had a half sister. My wife almost left me but she didn't because of our children. Our marriage was never the same again after that day."

"I will ask her, tell her the story but it will be her choice. I love her too much to force her into something she doesn't want to do."

"You love her?"

"Yes, we realized a few weeks after we met that we had feelings for each other. She is everything to me."

"You are a good person, I can see that and she is lucky to have you then."