Chapter 5

Chris dreams about Jake their friendship growing up and his murder. He woke screaming. He wasn't even aware that Lisa had entered his room. It was only after he felt her arms around him. He calmed down almost immediately. They didn't talk. They sat on his bed until the sun came up two hours later. When the sun lightened his room she got up and left just as silently as she entered.

Lisa left his room angered and she wasn't angry at him. She was angry at herself. She didn't want to feel something for him. She didn't want to even be here. When she heard his cry she just ran to him. She didn't even think about it. He sounded like someone in the worst pain. She only realized when the sun came up that she was in his bedroom on his bed and he was practically naked only wearing boxer shorts. She left immediately and now here in the shower getting ready for the day she didn't know if she could face him.

Lisa gathered all her courage and left her room dressed in a yellow halter neck sundress that she paired with white strappy sandals. She had her hair in a high ponytail, it made her look a little taller than she was. She held on to the balustrade as she descended the stairs.

She found Chris in the kitchen where he was busy making French toast. "Morning."

Chris turned and saw Lisa in the doorway. "Morning. Did you sleep okay?"

"I did thanks." She stood closer.

"I made you decaf in the percolator. Caffien isn't good for the baby." He took a plate from the counter next to him and added a slice of French toast to some grated cheese. He handed her the plate and pointed to the island counter where a knife and fork was already placed on the table.

Lisa sat down and took the first bite from her food. "Wow this tastes so good." She watched him as he placed a bowl with sliced fruit on the table. "I will definitely get fat. I cannot possibly eat all this."

"You should eat what you can. You have a baby growing inside you and it needs food too."

"Yeah I guess." Lisa finished the toast and added a few pieces of fruit to her plate and ate that too.

Chris ate but didn't say anything. He wanted to talk about what happened earlier in his room but didn't know how to start. He helped her as she cleaned the kitchen and when they were done he just stood there watching her as she left.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out to see who was calling. The name on the screen read 'Jason'. Jason was dead. "Hallo." Chris answered cautious.

"Hallo Chris. You have something that I want."

Ryan! "What do you want?" He must have taken Jason's phone the night he killed him.

Ryan laughed. "I want the child. I couldn't let it live. I made a promise that the Carmichael bloodline would end with him."

Chris was fuming. "And I am making you a promise Ryan King that I am coming for you and when I am done there won't be another King born. You and your brother are the only two left to carry on your bloodline and I will kill you both. Jason did nothing to you. I will protect the girl and her child even if I have to gather an army to surround her twenty four hours a day while I come to find you."

"Gather your army. I am coming for her."

Chris flung the phone and it smashed into pieces against the opposite wall.

Lisa watched him from the door. He didn't see her. He felt the anger taking over and he knew he was changing. This was the third time in his life that he changed. He hated it. Then he felt her fear but he didn't look her way. He knew that if he did she would always fear him.