Chapter 14

Chris sat next to Lisa's bed. It has been hours since she came out of surgery. The doctor said she was stable and everything was fine. The bullet missed all vital organs and the baby. All she needed now was rest. The good news didn't put him at ease.

"Chris, you need to come to the mess hall and eat something."

"Father I don't want to leave her alone." Chris said with a pained expression. "I need to be here when she wakes up."

"You need to go and take a shower, eat something and talk to some people. There are a lot of your friends from school here that wants to see you." Chris snr placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "I know it is hard but you need to think of yourself too. I will stay here while you go and do the necessary things and I will call you as soon as she wakes up."

Chris slumped his shoulders and sighed. "Fine I'll go but I am not going to be gone long." He kissed her head and left the room.

Chris made his way down to the mess hall butt halfway there he thought a shower would probably be best to do first. He turned to the accommodations and found his compartment. The ship they were on was an state of the art sea vessel equipped to the highest standards and could outperform almost all battleships of its class in battle and in speed and efficiency. This was used as a training facility for you mutants like himself. The go to a normal school as any normal child will until they are fifteen and then they come here to get the rest of their education here. They learn everything that they would in a normal school but here they also learn to fight, shoot and everything in between, they basically get the complete military training here and what can't be done on the ship is done at a facility in New Orleans. They complete their training at the age of nineteen and what they do after that is their choice.

Chris was staying in one of the guest compartments that were fully equipped with a bed and bathroom. It wasn't as big as his parents' quarters but he was fine with that. His father was one of the leaders so he had a proper bedroom and bathroom that was spacious and comfortable. When Chris was on the ship to learn he had to share a compartment with one other and he had to use communal bathrooms. This was definitely a step up.

Chris took his clothes off and got into the shower. He turned the cold water on and stepped under the shower. The cold water was soothing in his too warm skin. For some reason he has been running a fever but he wasn't worried. The doctor said that it could be from all the stress. After his shower he changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. His father would probably scold him and tell him the follow the dress code on the ship but to do that he must go and get a set from the person in charge of that and he isn't in the mood for that right now. All he wants to do I go and eat so he can get back to Lisa.

Chris was just about to leave his room when someone knocked. "It is open."

"Chris, I brought you clothes, you know what your father would say if he saw you in anything else but your uniform."

"Thank you mother, I didn't want to waste time to go and get me a set." He took the clothes from his mother and went back into the bathroom swearing softly to himself.

"I have asked them for a second set. They will deliver it to your room. I hope I got the size right."

Chris came out of the bathroom dressed in his grey camos and white t-shirt and black boots. "The fit is perfect mother. Thanks again. I am on my way to the mess hall, would you like to come with me?"

"Yes I think that is a good idea, then I can see that you eat. I think you lost weight since I saw you last."

"Oh mom, you are definitely making that up. I didn't lose weight, Lisa made sure we ate and we were very active on the island. There wasn't much to do so we went to the beach a lot, swam in the ocean and hiked all over the island. It really is a beautiful place, just sorry we had to leave like we did. Wouldn't mind going back at some point."