Chapter 12

For Lisa time flew on the island. Her days were full, if they weren't eating or cleaning they were exploring or swimming or juts watching the waves from the beach. She liked it when they packed a bag to go out for the day and he wouldn't tell her where they were going. He would take her to the most beautiful places on the island. 

"I don't know how you find these spots, do you go out and explore when I am asleep?" Lisa asked one day as they were eating sandwiches on a big rock that overlooked the ocean. The sun was worm on her skin.

Chris had his arm around her where he sat behind her. He played with his fingers on her now 25 week old bump. "There is a map in the library with red marks on it. I wanted to see what the red marks were." He kissed her hair. She smelled so good.

"So your grandfather marked all the beautiful places on the map? That is really something. Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She looked at him over her shoulder.

"I wanted to let you think I found all these places on my own." Chris said mockingly. "Baby is awake." Chris placed his hand flat on her tummy where baby was kicking. "So special won't you say?"

Lisa looked at him with admiration. "You know that I am the luckiest girl in the world. We are so lucky to have you. Jason was lucky to have you as a best friend." Lisa turned around so she could face him. "You changed my world and I am so grateful. I don't know how I can ever thank you for everything you have done for me and the baby. If you didn't make that promise to Jason and came into my life, .... I don't know where I would be right now."

Chris pulled her closer and kissed her. He didn't let go until they were both out of breath. "I don't need you to thank me, to have you here with me is all I need."

"I am not a prize." Lisa stood and turned to look at the ocean. "I am broken, lost and noting without you."

"Don't say things like that." He was standing in front of her now looking at her. Her skin had a golden shade from all the sun, her hair even whiter than it was when he met her and then she had that extra glow due to the pregnancy. "You are smart and you have a heart of gold, without you my life would be meaningless. You give me purpose and you are my air, I suffocate when I am not close to you." He hasn't said it yet and he wants to but it is not time for great confessions.

"I wish I could see myself through your eyes."

Chris pulled her into his arms and kissed her again. "Just trust me when I say it. You are a prize." He turned to the sun. "We should be getting back, it will be dark soon. We won't be able to come so far out anymore for long. You need to start taking it slower, you need to rest more."

"Do you know how long we are gonna be here still?" Lisa didn't want to leave yet but she won't be able to have the baby here.

"My father said that Ryan King has disappeared, but a doctor will be here in a week or two with the next shipment of supplies." He grabbed the backpack and helped her down from the rock. He helped her down the mountain and when they were back on level ground he stopped. "Do you want to go back?"

"No, but we are far from everything. I have nothing here for the baby, I could go into labor sooner and we are far from everything. I am worried that we might not make it back in time. We have no way of getting back if something happens."

"Nothing will happen." Chris pulls her into his arms and hugs her. "You don't have to worry about any of that, everything will work out for the best." He took her hand and they started down the trail again. The trees made a roof over the island and that protected them from aircrafts that might fly over the island. Chris didn't expect to hear anything like a helicopter here because there was nothing around here that would bring a helicopter to this area. "We need to move baby girl."