Chapter 7

Chris ran past the park and into a dark ally. He could feel Jason's pain and the feeling got stronger as he got closer to him. Chris could hear his almost silent breathing, the whispers from the others that came to help Jason. "Jason, I'm here."

"Chris, hey." Jason tried to sit up, he tried to smile as if nothing was wrong. He knew he wouldn't make it. He wanted his best friend to be at peace once he was gone. Jason pulled Chris closer. "You remember that time we went swimming in that lake just outside town."

Chris nodded. "I do. You ate so much just before swimming and got a cramp in your leg in the middle of the lake." Chris told the story because he could feel how weak Jason was.

"Yes, and ... you ... had to ... swim both of us ... to the shore. I wish that this ... was one of those ... days, but it isn't. Take care of her and keep them safe for me please?"

"I promise Jason. She will be cared for and they will be under my protection. I won't let anything happen to them."

Jason smiled as he blew out his last breath.

"Noooooooo! Jason!"

Lisa ran as fast she could but when she opened his door she was suddenly terrified. He could hurt her. Something she didn't think about the first time she came to him after he had a nightmare. She wanted to ask him what his nightmares were about but now she could probably guess.

"Chris? Are you okay?" Lisa said from the door.

"Go away. I don't need you. I'm fine." Chris said out of breath.

"What was your nightmare about?" Lisa asked as she came closer to his bed.

"I ... said ... leave!" Chris shouted not looking in her direction.

Lisa left. As she walked to her room she thought of packing her bag and leaving the house but decided against it. Instead she took her bag packed the most comfortable clothes in her closet and when she was sure she had everything she would need, she went to the mirror and pressed the button. The secret door opened and Lisa climbed down the steps. As she stepped on the paved floor the door at the top closed and the lights lid up the corridor that looked more like a tunnel.

She walked at a fast pace. She entered through the big steel door and once she was inside she pressed the black button and the door shut. The lights went on and for the first time Lisa felt alone.

Lisa was asleep on the sofa when the phone on the desk rang. Lisa didn't get to it before it stopped ringing. It rang again a minute later. "Hallo?"

"Lisa, what happened and why are you in the bunker."

Lisa thought about it for a second. "I am not allowed to leave the house and Chris shouted at me so I came here. Why did you phone me in the bunker if you didn't know I was here?"

"The same way we knew the first time you were sent to the bunker. Our kind has a link, we know when someone is in danger or are panicking. Chris is panicking right now and that doesn't happen. That is why we phoned the bunker. He is not answering our calls."

"Why would he be panicking?"

"Probably because he doesn't know where you are!" Chris snr said a little too hard.

"Don't shout at me. He had a nightmare and I only wanted to see if he was okay and the he said I must leave. Why is everyone mad at me?"

Lisa hung up the phone and went back to the couch. Tears welled up and for the next hour Lisa cried. She cried because she was frustrated with everyone around her, because she missed her brother and because she was pregnant and basically alone. Her mother told her to get out of her house and now even Chris told her to leave him alone.