Chapter 4

"Two hundred years ago a village in the northern parts of Canada came under attack and all the women and children were killed. The village had a scientist Dr. Gordon van Eck. He was a brilliant man and was working on mutations before the village was attacked. Dr. van Eck was the village doctor as well and after the attack he saw to the injured men in the village. He didn't realize that his experiments had contaminated his medical supplies until it was too late."

"The injured men started to go through changes and only after several months he found out what had happened. The changes were physical and mental. Some were able to handle it and others weren't. A few men were murdered and others committed suicide. Only six men survived the first six months and after the first year since the attack only five men had lived. They didn't know much about what happened and what to expect."

"They had realized early on that losing their tempers sort of changed their appearances, their faces tended to look more like wolves than human." He saw her cringe. "They didn't change into wolves completely, they were still sort of human most of the time."

"As The years went by these five men learned things about themselves. They learned early on that they were not meant to be a pack, if you can call it that so if they weren't related by blood they didn't stay together. After the split there were three packs. Two groups of one later known as the King family and the Ragan family – lifelong friends till this day. Then there was the old man Arthur Morgan and his two sons Chris and Arthur jnr. They tolerated the other packs but decided to make their way down to America and finally settled here. The other two packs stayed close to where they originated. The men married again and their families became bigger."

"With the birth of their children they learned new things about who they were. The daughters didn't have the mutation. If the first born weren't a son the bloodline ended and only in two to three generations after a son would be born who would have some of the mutation but not all. After a girl was born no matter if a boy came before there would be no more boys only girls unless the father took another mate but that wasn't so easy. They found that it was more likely for the daughter to give birth to a son with the mutation if she mated with a man who had the mutation so that caused a lot of inbreeding in the beginning. If the first born was a son there were more sons and or daughters to follow."

"As the packs grew bigger they realized that they could feel when someone was in danger and in that way they were able to protect their other members. They also knew when their death was close and if a man didn't have children and he was the only son to his father the bloodline and family name ended right there."

She looked pale and he decided it was enough for now. "I don't think I should continue. Let's go in and get ready. We have to leave in an hour and I am sure you would like some time to get ready. I will tell you more later."

She looked at the water and ran her hand through it as if she was thinking about it. "Fine but you will tell me the rest?"

"Yes, I cannot deny you anything." He wanted to keep the truth from her but he could have no secrets from her.

Five minutes later Chris entered his bathroom and turned on the shower. He felt her on the other side of the wall where she was now doing the same thing he was. It was his thing to feel other people and how close they were. He also felt what they felt and that was the hardest. She was confused and she had questions. He had the answers but he didn't know if she was ready for that.

He went through the routine of showering and getting dressed and everything in between and while he was doing that he was thinking of the enemy. The enemy who killed his best friend. Chris wanted to avenge the death of his friend and he wanted to take away the one thing his enemy cherished most. He wasn't a blood thirsty killer but he would have to get his hands dirty for this one.