shadows

This one shot is based on a new story that I am writing. It's a horror/creepy book.

Riley's POV:

I wake up in the middle of the night, feeling someone poking me repeatedly and whispering my name. I open my eyes and in the darkness next to me I see Eve. I give her a sleepy smile. "Hey, Eve. What is troubling you tonight?" I ask the girl who's face looks sweet and innocent at first, but when you take a closer look you see that her left eye is gone. She was only seven when her father shot her in the head with his gun. He was drunk, but that isn't an excuse for what he did to his family. Poor, young girl, she's such a sweetheart, but she's trapped within the darkness, just like the rest of the shadow people.

"Damian isn't being nice to me. He's saying awful things to me." She says looking behind her. I look over where she is looking to see Damian, an older boy, about thirteen years old, standing in the corner, his arms crossed over his chest and a smirk on his face. The dark mist echoes off of his skin, just like Eve's. The shadow people have a coat of black smoke that surrounds them, it glows in the moonlight, making them almost transparent.

I sigh and sit up. "Damian, what did you say to Eve?" I ask.

"I told her that her family never loved her, that her dad wanted to kill her. He hated her. She was a mistake." Damian says bluntly.

"No! It isn't true! Daddy loved me! It was a mistake! He didn't mean to hurt me!" Eve yells at him sobbing, even though there are no tears for her to shed because she is well, dead. And she is missing an eye. She clutches her teddy bear close to her chest.

"Damian! Why on earth would you tell her that! You know how sensitive she is about that subject." I scold him.

He takes a step closer, looking at Eve, then me.

"I told her the truth. My brother didn't love me either. If he did, we wouldn't be speaking right now." He says, unfolding his arms revealing the multiple stab wounds on his chest. "If the people who killed us loved us we wouldn't be in the shadow realm, would we now?" He asks.

I sigh and nod, "I suppose you are right, but that still doesn't mean that you can be rude to Eve. About you guys being in the shadow realm, you know that the only reason that you are here is because you have unfinished business. We've talked about this. I'm going to help you. I promise." I say, in a serious tone.

They both sigh and nod. "We know." Damian says sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Good. The suns going to be up soon, is there anything else that you need to tell me?" I ask them.

They both shake their heads. "Okay. Damian, be nice to Eve please. And take care of her."

He nods, "I always do." Eve smiles at Damian and he smiles back. Damian has become like a big brother to Eve. It makes me happy knowing that they aren't completely alone; they have each other.

I see the sun peeking up from the horizon, bits of sunlight shining in through the window, meaning that it is almost time for them to go. "Bring it in guys." I say opening my arms.

They come over and hug me. Their bodies are cold but I can still feel them. They aren't like ghosts; when you touch them your hand won't go straight through them like in the movies.

"I'll see you guys later. Be safe." I tell them when we pull away from the hug.

"We will. Have a good day, Riles."

"Bye Riley!"

"Thank you Damian." I giggle. "Bye honey."

Suddenly my mother walks into my room, the light from the hallway lighting up the room, making Damian and Eve disappear.

"Riley? Who were you talking too?" She asks, an odd look on her face. She yawns. She most likely just woke up for work. She has to leave pretty early. We live an hour away from where she works.

I smile, "No one, mom. I was just talking to myself."

She looks at me as if I'm crazy and slowly nods. "Right. Yeah okay. I'm going to go get ready for work now."

"Okay mom."

She leaves, shutting the door behind her. She thinks I'm crazy, just like everyone else, but aren't we all crazy in some type of way?

I just see dead people.

-------

Heya. I hope that you liked this one shot. This was inspired by a new book that I am writing called Voices. I only added a small fragment of my new story into this one shot, which is the shadows/shadow realm stuff. Voices is going to be pretty creepy and hopefully intense. I haven't really written a horror story before and I hope that this story is good and turns out the way that I want it too.