Chapter 11: Marco

Chapter 11 Marco

My parents were upset with me for being 'dead' the past few years. Of course, I didn't blame them. I pointed out that they technically couldn't ground me and they began laughing. It dawned on them that I wasn't a fourteen year old anymore, I stood in front of them as a twenty-one year old man.

A smack from my mom came out of nowhere. "Why didn't you come back? It took you almost seven years to let us know you are alive!" Her eyes blazed with anger.

'Your mom is a buzz kill,' the voice stated as he yawned.

"Shut it," I grumbled.

My dad frowned, "excuse me?"

"Sorry," I said, "I was talking to myself." I ran a hand through my hair. I had to do something in order to get rid of that damn voice. A minor shock ran through me and I groaned.

'You can't get rid of me,' it snapped.

I gripped my chest, grinding my teeth to stifle the pain. My mom stared at me strangely, extremely concerned. I could feel her gaze searching me. Could it be that she had an instinct about the voice in my head?

'Look away,' the voice nervously commanded. I could tell it didn't want to be prodded. I felt it sliding deeper into my mind, away from my mom's eyes. A cold sensation settled over me like a blanket.

I averted my eyes with a chuckle. "It took me a while to figure out who I was after I woke up."

She gave me a brittle smile, one that told me she didn't believe me. "I'm just happy to have you back." She searched behind me and glanced at my dad. "Did Star leave?"

He nodded, "she wanted to give us a private moment."

Taking back the situation, I cleared my throat, "Speaking of Star...I heard you gave her your blessing for her and Tom's marriage." I leaned against the counter. I took slight enjoyment from their discomfort. My mom tugged at her hair as my dad fiddled with the cut up vegetables. "Why would you do that?"

She winced, "You were gone for years. She deserved-deserves- to be happy." Though I could tell she was intimidated, she stood her ground. "It's unfair to her to be alone and Tom seemed like the best fit."

"Best fit..." I repeated. "How? The man has anger issues!" I slammed my fist down and caused them both to jump. Which made it seem like I had anger issues.

She sighed, "Marco...Star stayed away from Earth for months after you 'died'. Tom was there for her. He was her friend. They didn't plan on getting back together, it just happened. I remember Star coming and crying because she felt like she was forgetting about you. She was confused about her feelings."

"Sounds like you're defending her," I accused. I watched as my dad went and put his arms around her.

"We wanted the girl you loved to be happy. We believed that's what you wanted too." His gaze warned me not to upset my mother.

Crossing my arms against my chest, I shrugged. "She didn't wait for me. Not even a day passed before she ran back to Tom." The first vision of what the voice showed me replayed in my head.

"Who told you that?" My father questioned.

Aware that I would be giving it away, the voice advised me to lie. "A good friend." I pushed away from the counter. "I have to go. I'll see you guys later."

I racked my head to try and remember where Jackie lived. Would she remember me? Of course she would. I was the guy who picked a princess over her. When I wasn't trying to take revenge on the Butterfly family, I was looking up what happened to all of my old friends. One day, one of my minions told me that Jackie had moved on campus of a local university. I decided to try and find her. What for? I had no idea.