Chapter 9: Marco

Chapter 9 Marco

Imagine this; you wake up only to find darkness. Thinking there's a problem with your eyes you begin to freak out. It worsens as you realize you're buried six feet under ground. But why would someone bury you when you're clearly not dead?

I pounded on the casket door for hours, screaming until I lost my voice. My hands were all bloodied and I knew it was impossible to move a ton of dirt from on top the coffin.

"Why?" I whimpered as I felt something crawl over my leg. Or did I imagine it? I felt around in search of something...anything I could use to help me.

My fingers brushed against a delicate ring.

'That's Star's engagement ring,' a whisper said.

"No." I argued.

A quiet laugh, 'She gave it back. She's with Tom now. I can help you get out of here. Or you can stay here and rot.'

I struggled against the luring voice. It was tempting to say yes, hell, it was nearly impossible to say no. But the voice I was hearing wasn't good.

'Don't you want to get out? Do you want the bugs to slowly but painfully eat you alive?' It continued. 'Star doesn't love you anymore, look.'

A hologram of Star and Tom appeared out of thin air. They walked through the garden outside of her home. They were holding hands and laughing. Tom stopped Star in the middle of her tracks and kissed her.

My heart dropped. "How long have I been in here?"

'One day.'

I swallowed the rock-like emotions in my throat. "Get me out of here."

'Good boy.'

For the next six years I learned all I could on the Butterfly family and on Tom. I knew their weaknesses, their histories, their favorite foods, their sleeping cycles. I knew which part of the kingdom they liked to frequent.

I knew who slept in who's room. And that was what surprised me the most about Star. Sure, she was now eighteen but it still came as a shock when I was told about her sleeping with Tom.

'I told you that she forgot all about you,' the voice said, laughing at my surprise.

"Shut the fuck up," I growled.

'As you wish.'

"Tomorrow is the princess' birthday," a henchman reminded me. "She'll be twenty-one. A coronation and wedding all in the same day."

I rubbed my chin. "Tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Make plans to attend." Digging through my pockets I handed him Star's engagement ring. "Place this somewhere she'll see it."

"Anything else, master?" He asked.

"Find me a suit to wear."

The henchman nodded and slithered off. I took deep nervous breaths at the thought of seeing Star again. Anger bubbled up in my chest, how dare she forget me?

'She never loved you,' the quiet voice returned from sleeping. I could hear the grin in his tone.

"Fuck off," I said as I grabbed a pair of weights from the ground. If I wasn't planning revenge on people, I was working out. It calmed me.

But it wasn't working today.

The next morning I woke and dressed in a hurry. Star's coronation was bound to be packed tight. I shrugged my white shirt on, pulled the black suit jeans on and tightened my belt. I rolled the sleeves up to my elbows.