Chapter 2: Star

Chapter 2: Star

As we traveled through the portal my mother handed me a handkerchief. I barely had time to blow my nose before landing. Any friendship I had with Marco was totally ruined, but I had to tell him. I owed him the truth. I had to let him know if I was never to see him again. The portal stopped spinning, dumping me in the throne room, my mom landed gracefully beside me. My father, King River, sat on his throne eating a hotdog.

"Star!" He stuffed the rest in his mouth and brushed the crumbs away. "Thank goodness you're safe. Why are you crying?"

I sniffled, brushing my hair out of my face. "Because I left my heart back on Earth and I'm afraid I'll never get it back."

Queen Moon swatted my arm, "Don't be silly. You'll find love at your own pace. Besides, this is the safest place for you." She lifted the crown from her head, tossing it aside. "We must protect you. Toffee is out there." The diamonds on her cheeks began to glow brightly until she was clothed in blinding white light. I was forced to look away. Instead of her normal queenly attire she was dressed in silver metal armor. Unlike on Song Day, she had two wickedly sharp swords strapped to both hips. Her powder blue hair was braided down her back with a silver ribbon. "Earth was a temporary solution. It is my fault that you became so attached. But I just don't why you are."

I threw my hands up, "I had no choice in going there. It is your fault. It's my home. Besides, I thought you liked Marco." A flurry of forest fairies formed a hurricane around me. They dropped a black chain-mail dress over my head, my red horns were replaced with a black and red tiara with a large heart shaped ruby in the middle. The fairies tied my hair back in a bun, leaving a few tendrils loose around my ears. They dropped my wand back in my hands.

"Uh, can I have my horns back?" I waited for the fairies to comply but they didn't.

My mom sighed in that queenly way she did, the one that never failed to annoy me. "Marco is a good friend. But we need someone powerful and strong enough, someone who will be able to protect you better."

"Uh, Marco knows karate. He's fought monsters by my side. He's survived sixteen years of Hekapoo's trails to gain his own dimensional scissors. He's strong enough. Who could possibly be more so than him?"

The throne room was then filled with scorching heat and flames. My ex-boyfriend Tom stepped out of the fire, a sneaky grin on his face. He opened his arms as the fire went out. He was dressed in a black suit with a grey vest and grey skulls for buttons, his black shoes were polished until they shone. A red rose was tucked into the front pocket over his heart. His red hair was spiked up.

"Tom?" I said after I quit staring. I aimed my wand at him, ready to blast him into the next dimension. "What are you doing here?"

He turned to the king and queen, bowing deeply. "Queen Moon, King River, an honor to see you again. Thank you for inviting me." He faced me again. "Star, you look sensational."

I shot a murderous look at my parents. Glowering at them with enough heat to dry slugs. "Wait, you invited him here? You know we broke up. I do not want to see him."

Tom smirked as he approached me, but he was wise enough to keep a reasonable distance. "I came to see my fiancée."

I laughed nervously. "Fi-fiancée? What are you talking about?" I glanced at my parents who looked exceedingly guilty. "Why is this nut job calling me his fiancée?"

My mom sighed again and I had half a mind to toss her off the tallest Mewnian mountain. "Star, as you know, we have hundreds of traditions and customs. You don't know all of them. You aren't aware of the more important ones. One being that the crown princess must be engaged before or by her fifteenth birthday. "