Chapter 4: Star

Chapter 4: Star

He had come for me. Marco had COME FOR ME. That was the only thought that ran through my head as I ran away sobbing. I felt so pathetic, what had happened to the Mewnian princess who could kick a monster's ass without flinching? When did I become such a watering pot?

Ten minutes later, Tom found me sitting in an abandoned corner of the ancient texts library of the castle. I stared out the window, blearily looking at the red sky. I brought my knees closer to my chest.

"Star," Tom softly said, "Your mother wouldn't be happy if you didn't go through with the agreement you two made." He placed a hand on my knee to get my attention.

I faintly noticed that the black chain-mail dress now seemed lighter and more flexible. When did that happen? "I'm going through with it," I grumbled. "I have to keep him safe. I'll send Marco away after the engagement is announced to the Mewnian and Underworld people."

Tom frowned. "I do care about you, Star. I want what's best for you."

I angrily slapped his hand off my knee and stood. "No. You want me no matter the cost. You do not care about my feelings so don't try to make it feel as if you do. I agreed to the proposal, now leave me alone." I stomped off furiously.

I reached my rooms and got the urge to destroy something. I grabbed the table on my right and flipped it over. I went on a rampage; shooting laser beams at furniture, upending drawers, tearing up the bedding with a pair of sharp throwing knives I had found in the armory.

A movement in my peripheral caught my attention. I stopped, ready to blast someone into outer space. It was just my reflection in the intricate golden weaved mirror with blood red rubies and emeralds embedded in the border. For the first time in about three weeks I finally looked closely at my reflection.

I looked sad and pitiful and that was not acceptable to me. I watched as a single tear fell and raised my wand. I pointed it at the flawless mirror and blasted it to pieces. Dust and rubble filled the air, making the light grey and dull. I sighed as the dust settled, no more reflection.

The announcement would be taking place in the Underworld, so that's where most of the people were today in case you were wondering.

The streets were decorated with black and red flowers, skeletons, bones, and ink black fire. The castle was a bit more prejudice and was decorated in gold.

Tom dressed up in a black tailored suit. I had no choice but to go in the dress I had on since I arrived. It seemed to be of magical properties because it was always clean and smelled good. I began feeling a bit regretful when I realized I didn't have a mirror anymore but pushed those feelings down. Tom had walked into the rooms in the morning and shook his head at the mess.

I had stood by the window with my fists clenched, as if daring him to say anything about the state of my room. He said nothing besides the time the event would begin and left.

I waited in the shadows of the balcony, away from where Tom and his father stood with my parents. They looked tense and rigid. I could hear the faint sound of festival music and celebration. The people gathered around the castle, standing where they could best see the balcony where it would all take place. They cheered anytime they caught a glimpse of Tom or our parents.

My mom kept glancing at me, worried. I hugged my middle tightly, the premonition of something coming weighed heavily on me. I knew today would go horribly wrong but I didn't understand why. My nerves were wound up, frayed. The taste of impending doom lingered in my mouth.

"It's time," Toms father said. He gave his son a little shove out further into the people's view.

Tom cleared his throat and opened his arms in welcome. "People of Mewni and the Underworld, today I come before you to announce very special news! Princess Star Butterfly and I have decided to marry. This will bring both of our kingdoms closer together, opening new trade deals and alliances." He lowered his arms, grinning brightly as the crowd roared with excitement. I began shivering, my teeth clacking together rapidly.