Chapter 10: Star

Chapter 10 Star

I woke up alone and cursed out loud when I realized what I had done last night.

"You idiot!" I scolded myself as I tugged on my hair. Tom was going to be furious. He was going to literally explode with anger.

A knock on the door announced a visitor and the door opened, an army of fairies drifting in.

"Your Majesty," the leader squeakily said, "we're hear to help you dress."

A floor length, off the shoulder, puffy sky blue dress with white lace was dropped over my head and two fairies tugged it down. They stuck my feet in white slippers, piled my hair on my head and twisted and tucked until it sat like a high bun.

A golden crown with a pink heart was placed on top of my head. What does a queen do on her first day of her ruling? I sighed, I guess I would find out later today.

I stood there as they plucked my eyebrows, filed and manicured my hands, and repaired a tear in the hem of the dress. I began to fidget after ten minutes. I could feel my energy bubbling up in the pit of my stomach. Finally, I waved them away.

"Please," I begged as I hurried to the door, "no more. I can do all of those things myself." I stepped out into the hallway, having trouble walking in the floor length dress and almost tripped.

Fortunately my mom caught me by my elbows and held me steady.

She gave me a bright grin as she hooked her arm through mine and walked to the throne room. "Relax. The High Commission is gathered in the conference room. We're going to transfer power over to you but there's an issue."

I arched an eyebrow. "What issue?"

She gave me a thin smile but said nothing. We greeted the people running in an out of the castle as they passed by.

I repeated myself again, "Mom, what issue?" I'll admit it, I had been pretty nervous about running a kingdom all by myself. But I had come to accept that I was going to be responsible for people. Anything threatening that would have to be eliminated.

She came to the conference room and walked right in. A pot of coffee and some donuts sat on the table. Though we rarely ever drank coffee, it was always available. And today, the entire High Commission had ceramic mugs filled with it. Dark circles were under their eyes, it was clear they were exhausted.

They stood up as my mom and I approached. We said our 'good mornings' and sat down. I poured myself a cup of coffee and masked its bitter taste with sugar and cream. I would need the strength for whatever today decided to throw at me. My dad came in a minute later and proceeded to devour five donuts.

I signed a mountain of paperwork that would allow me power of the treasury, armory, army, prisons, Mewnian affairs, national archives, the secret and magical journals of dark magic. I was given the documents of recent issues regarding failing crops and the most recent events of the kingdom of Caldor.

"There's one last issue we need to discuss," Hekapoo stated as she glanced warily at the door as if waiting for someone to show up.

"Yeah?" Finally I'd know what it was.

My mom glanced around the room before settling her gaze on me. "You must be married to fully take charge of Mewni. Though you will be the one in charge, you need support coming from a corner. You have less than a year to marry before the kingdom appoints a general council to act as a parliament."

Damn it. "Can't I just change that stupid law?" I asked, a tad pissed off. "Do I really need a husband to be seen as a legitimate ruler?"

My mom shook her head no at the first question. "It's the way things are. Mewni is old fashioned. The queen is in charge but only if she has a husband." The other people sitting around us suddenly had a huge interest in the ceiling.