Chapter 1: Marco

Chapter 1: Marco

She was gone. Star was gone and she had revealed a major secret. And there was nothing I could do about it. I stood there in the empty doorway, watching as the room slowly returned to how it was before it was occupied. It was bare, with only the spare bed, dresser, and nightstand. The towers she had conjured from thin air were gone, leaving behind gaping holes in the side of the house.

"Ahhh!" I yelled madly, gripping my hair in both of my hands. "STAR!" I forgot all about the party going on downstairs. About every single person had witnessed the scene and her leaving. I forgot all about my girlfriend who no doubt now thought I had a crush on Star.

Did I? Did I have a crush on Star? I would've known, right? Or was I using Jackie to cover up those feelings? I'll admit that Song Day had uncovered a big box of feelings I wasn't aware about. I didn't even known if I wanted to examine them or not.

I shook my head viciously, I had to focus on finding her first. I would worry about that later. Why has she even left? All she has said was that she had to leave Earth and go back to Mewni. Had I lost my best friend forever?

"Marco?" My dad appeared behind me, concerned and sad as he peered around my shoulder and into the room. "Are you all right?"

"No, she's gone. She just left with no explanation. No warning." I stormed into the room, throwing punches at the air. I whirled around to see my mom walk up beside him. "She just left! Just like that! She admits that she has a crush on me and she just leaves?!"

"Wait," my dad interrupted with a raised hand, "Star has a crush on you?"

My mom gently put a hand on my arm, her eyes kind and soft. "Marco, did you really not know?" The sweet scent of the perfume she wore drifted to me, wrapping me in temporary calmness.

"I-I-I" I couldn't speak. "NO!"

Dad walked into the room, "Well. Do you like Star?" He opened an empty drawer then closed it back up.

Once again my mind jumbled up. It made no sense, like when Glossarick randomly rambles on about nonsense. "She's my best friend, of course I like her."

I paid no attention to the shadow in the hallway until it exclaimed, "You what?" We all turned around to see Jackie standing in the hallway. Her green eyes hurt.

"Marco likes Star." My dad ruffled through his apron. "Honestly, Jackie, you've got to learn to pay attention." He pulled out a pizza nugget and ate it.

Jackie turned to me, tugging at her wavy blonde hair. "You like Star?"

"She's my friend," I muttered, "of course I like her. As a friend. She's my girlfriend-I mean she's a girl and she's my friend. I don't know, Jackie. I don't know anymore."

Jackie was dealing with the voices in her head too. She murmured to herself. "I knew the rumors were true."

My mom turned around, announcing to no one in particular about getting rid of the kids downstairs. Five minutes later I heard them all complaining and leaving.

"You know what, Marco?" Jackie angrily said to me. "Come find me once you know but as of right now, we're through. See you at school." She pulled out her skateboard and skated down the hall, then jumped the railing and followed it down.

"Wait, Jackie!"

I ran to catch up to her but tripped down the last three stairs. I stumbled up, reached the door, and stared out into the dark night. The street empty and dark and lonely. I slowly closed the door, feeling vulnerable and very confused. Did I have a girlfriend anymore? I banged my head against the wall, hoping it would help but it didn't.

"Why did you leave with no explanation whatsoever?" I growled under my breath.

I felt a comforting hand on my head. "Everything will be better in the morning. Why don't you get some rest to clear your head?" My mom gave me a gentle pat on the cheek and pushed me toward the stairs.

"Goodnight."

The next morning was no better. I woke with a pounding headache, I tossed and turned all night. I slipped on my red hoodie, grimly ate a bowl of sugary cereal, and got on the bus. As soon as I stepped foot on it I was peppered with questions about Star that I didn't know how to answer.

Star Fan 13 slid into my seat like snake, breathing hard through her mouth. "Is she coming back? If not does that mean I'm the new Star? Let me tell you I have no idea how to cast that narwhal spell she's always casting. I don't know how to do any spell."

I sighed, sliding down in my seat as I pulled my hoodie over my head. "Go away, please."

As on the bus, I was bowled over with more questions at school. Jackie didn't speak to me in third period math class. I slid into my usual seat, trying to ignore everyone. Janna sat with Star in the back but today she tossed a guy from the seat next to me and claimed it as her own.

Pulling out a purple and blue notebook she turned to me, "Okay. What's the plan? How are we going to get her back?"

"We can't. She said something about having to leave Earth forever. The only way I could see her is if I went to her. But I don't know how to do that." I pretended to listen to troll teacher and reached for a pen.

"Yeah, she does live in another dimension. Too bad we don't have some of those dimensional scissors like Princess Pony Head does." Janna doodles a pair of skulls with smiley faces on her paper. After Troll Teacher shot her a mean look, Janna feigned jotting down the math problem on the board. "You know, just severe a spot in the time space continuum."

"Dimensional scissors..." I felt stupid. I had those! Why didn't it occur to me? Then another daunting thought approached. What if the scissors left when Star did? What if she took all ethereal objects with her? No, Hekapoo said I earned them. They were mine. I didn't go through sixteen years of trials to have it all vanish.

I stood, bringing Troll Teacher to a pause. "Marco. What are you doing standing up? Sit down."

"Sorry, I gotta-I gotta go do something." I ran from the classroom. I didn't stop until I reached my front door.

I have to admit that leaving school early is totally cool but you shouldn't do it if you're a minor. The house was dark and quiet. My parents had to be at work or the grocery store and I thanked heaven because they would haven been angry to find out I skipped school only to search for Star instead of learning long division.

I threw a few essentials into a pack and threw it over my shoulder. I raced up the stairs three at a time, as if my life depended on it. Slamming the door shut behind me I sprinted to my nightstand and rummaged through it. I found broken pencils, notes from Jackie, a bottle cap, pieces of old string, and at the very bottom wrapped in an old cotton T-shirt were my pair of scissors.

"Bingo," I whispered. I took a step back, praying and wishing they took me to Mewni and not the Underworld with Tom. Slicing clean in the air, the blades opened an oval slit, just big enough for me to fit through. "Yes!" With one last wish, I jumped through. Hoping I wouldn't land on a spike on the other side.