Chapter 3: Marco

Chapter 3: Marco

According to Queen Moon, the moment I tumbled out of the portal was the moment that the portal Tom and Star were using closed. I missed them by literally a second.

"You let Star go off with Tom?" I exploded. "Why would you do that?" My hands tugged at my hair painfully.

Queen Moon's powder blue eyes softened with compassion. "I'm sorry, Marco. But we must keep her safe. Toffee is back."

I quit pacing, "Toffee? He's back? How?"

"Ludo is recruited him into his monster army in attempt to get Stars wand as you may know." She turned to walk to the balcony that overlooked the Mewnian kingdom. "After the many fails to do so, Toffee managed to overthrow Ludo and gain the army. Now Toffee has taken over Ludo's body and is using him. I've fought him before and defeating him will be no easy task. I will do anything to keep my daughter safe. So will Tom."

I scoffed at the mention of Tom. "Pfft. Tom and Star can barely get along." I dug in my pockets, my fingers wrapping around the scissors. I pulled them out, focusing on the Underworld. "I'm going to get Star."

"Wait," the queen said. She held a hand up that radiated command. "Marco, there is something you should know first. Star and Tom are to be married."

I laughed at her attempt at a joke. Then I jumped through a portal again. As I landed on the other side it immediately got hotter. It looked nothing like Toms old crib. It was empty and abandoned. Extinguished torches lay on the floor, blackened and charred. Bones were scatter aimlessly into corners.

"No one has been here for ages," I muttered to myself. I checked out the other rooms, searching for any clues as to where they might be. No luck. I backtracked into the main room, the one where Tom annihilated me at Ping-Pong. Where had he taken Star?

I explored deeper into the area and found caves. I followed the passageway of a cave about three miles down. The air was staler and began to smell like sulfur. The rocks shimmered from the heat and I started sweating profusely.

Suddenly, I felt a draft of cool air and I ran towards it. The entry was blocked by a huge circular rock, but I could feel the cool, crisp air coming from the edges.

"Oh, that feels amazing."

I set to work to try to pry the rock away from the entry, after I was done I noticed my bloody hands. "Ow," I whispered painfully. I slipped inside, knelt in the dark corner, and took bandages out from my pack. I wiped the blood from my hands, applied necessary medical treatments, and tied white gauze around both hands.

Out of nowhere came a carriage being pulled by a skeleton horse on fire. I barely had time to jump out of the way to avoid being plowed over.

I had been standing in the middle of a cobblestone road. It led into a dead forest, past it was a kingdom much like Mewni's except for the random fires that blazed on housetops. A castle of bones, brimstone, coal, and black fire stood on a mountain.

Even from a distance I noticed dozens of henchmen standing sentry in front of every door. In addition to them, there were gargoyles and dragons flying overhead.

"What an overkill, but then again we gotta protect Star." I squinted at the road, judging the trip and how long it would take. "I better start walking." It would be a one day journey. In a dead forest which no doubt housed monsters. How lucky of me.

I heard the sound of a rickety old wagon come up the trail. It slowed to a complete stop in front of me. A young couple sat in the front seat. The man was dressed in a white plain long sleeve shirt with brown tweed trousers. A straw hat sat on his head. His wife sat beside him, in a navy blue dress with white frills near the collar and cuffs. She had on a navy blue bonnet.