-chapter 1-

-chapter 1- 

It's 1am and I'm packing my bags again. It's the 5th time this year and it's only April. No, I'm not going on a vacation or a sleepover. I'm running away from home. All the times in the past I haven't gotten very far. But this time is going to be different. I throw the last essential things in my bag and sling it over my shoulder. I slowly creep out of my room and down the stairs being especially quiet. The last thing I needed were my parents waking up and catching me red handed. I wasn't leaving a note, and didn't plan on leaving even a trace of my existence other then my room and the stuff I left there that I couldn't bring with me. I slowly opened the front door, and snuck out as quietly as possible. I creeped down the sidewalk to my car. I opened the drivers side door and slung my bags into the back seat, then crawled in. I didn't shut my car door until I had backed out of the driveway and was at the end of our street, then I slammed the door so hard my entire car shook. I banged my head on the steering wheel and started yelling at nothing. "SHAILENE WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID?!" I screamed at myself. "WHY CAN'T YOU EVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT?!" I yelled again. I was still sitting at the end of my street. Hot, angry tears began streaming down my face. I sat there a few minutes more then decided I should actually go somewhere, atleast for the night. I thought of calling my best friend Tyra, but she wouldn't understand, and her parents wouldn't appreciate me coming over so late. Then I remembered, my friend John has his own place, it's a bit of a drive but I'll do it. I pick up my phone and dial his number, I have it memorized. "hello..?" John answers in a half-asleep voice. "John..." is all I managed to get out before the tears take over again. "Shailene, what's wrong?!" John asked suddenly sounding wide awake. "I'm coming over." I said before hanging up. I drive down the road towards John's house. I'm still crying but it feels good to let it all out and know no one can see me. I stay so bottled up and quiet all the time, a girl can only take so much. My phone rings beside me, it's John. I ignore his call. My phone beeps to let me know I have a message. I pick it up and dial voicemail. "hey Shea, I uh, I just wanna know what's going on...please pick up your phone." the message ends. I set my phone back down and cut on music. My phone rings again, it's John, and I still ignore it. He leaves another message "Shailene Marie Evans! Pick up your freaking phone!" after I hear the click of John hanging up I turn off my phone, I don't want to talk to him on the phone. I need to see him in person. After driving about another hour I pull into his driveway. I see John sitting on his front steps and before I've even cut my car off he's run over to me and pulled my door open. "Shailene don't EVER do that to me again!!" he yells at me. I cower away from him and whisper "please don't yell at me." "oh god Shae, I'm sorry. What did your dad do this time?" John asks gently. "this." I say lifting up my shirt to reveal the bruises all over my ribs. I'd cry but there are no more tears left. John pulls me into a hug, and tells me everything will be alright. I'm shaking, not from being cold, but from fear and pain. "you're shaking Shae!" he says taking off his jacket and wrapping it around me. It smells just like him. He grabs my bags and carries them in the house for me. "here you can stay in the guest room." he says dropping my bags on the floor. It's about 3:30am now and I'm exhausted. "I'll let you get some sleep, see you in the morning." John says kissing my forehead gently. "thanks." I say. I don't even bother changing. I crawl in the bed fully clothed with Johns jacket still wrapped around me.

I don't know what time it was but I woke up at some time during my sleep screaming from a nightmare. John came running in and told me everything was okay then stayed until I fell back asleep. But when I woke up in the morning he was still laying next to me. I smiled for the first time in a while. Having him with me made me feel safe and comforted. I laid there watching him sleep lost in my thoughts. Maybe I'll just stay here with John and drop all contact with my parents. I thought. It's not like they'd miss me, and it would just be less they have to take care of. And I'd be happy. As this thought crosses my mind I realize, when I'm with John I'm truly happy. He and I used to be super close and he got me through the stuff with my parents when we were younger. But then he moved and started touring with his band 9 out of the 12 months in the year. We still talked cause he was the only one who knew about the abuse but other then that he wasn't much help. I lucked out that he was actually home this week.