Chapter 9 Meeting the Hogake

Accelerator, Kakine, Tenten, and Neji finally caught up with Lee, Misaka, and Guy at a large red gate. The group had been stopped by two ninjas when they tried to run through the gates. From what Accelerator could understand their contest had been interrupted right before the finish line by these two ninjas.

"Hey, you guys made it! These two are Izumo Kamizuki and Kotetsu Hagane they are usually guarding the gates here if they aren't running other errands for the Hokage!" Guy boisterously introduced the two guards who watched him with flabbergasted faces. Accelerator imagined that not many people were good at dealing with this Guy person.

"I told you we were just gate guards and errand runners," Kotetsu muttered gloomily.

"And I've said before that guarding Konoha and the villagers are the best missions a shinobi can get," Izumo replied thoughtfully before turning to Misaka. "Young lady I do not recognize you. If you try to just run inside the gate that is a sure way to eat a kunai. Please present some identification."

"Ummm." Misaka stuttered and hid behind Lee. Confusing the group. Misaka could often be rambunctious but was also embarrassed when a stranger saw her acting in an unladylike manner causing her current embarrassment.

"Relax Izumo. These fellas are with me!" Guy called to him.

"Even if they're with you. These kids need identification, or they'll have to pay a visit to the Hokage." Izumo responded.

"We'll go speak with Hogake. The kids want to become ninjas." Guy said.

Izumo and Kotetsu just glanced at each other before silently agreeing not to deal with Guy anymore. They let Guy and the others through.

What weak security. Not that it would matter in front of three level 5 espers. Even if it was just me, there isn't a place I can't break into with pure force. (Accelerator)

Accelerator sighed. He knew he shouldn't think along those lines, but old habits die hard. Not to mention only a few people treated him like a human being anyways. He was just lucky that they didn't realize how strong he was.

Most likely, power in this world is judged by that mysterious energy. I can still read the vectors surrounding the energy. They aren't imaginary vectors, so I shouldn't have any trouble dealing with it either. (Accelerator)

The group walked into a building near the center of the village with a clear view of some faces carved into the side of a cliff. Accelerator remembered they had something similar to this back on Earth. Lee, Neji, and Tenten said their goodbyes before heading off in different directions. Apparently, Guy would report on the mission alone and introduce them to the Hokage.

When they entered the office, they met an old man with gray hair, a gaunt face, and wrinkles and liver spots from old age. He had vertical lines running down his face to his cheeks. He stands up while puffing out some smoke from a pipe.

"Guy I see you aren't with your team." The old man says as he glances curiously at Accelerator and Kakine. Misaka was nowhere to be seen as she was hiding behind the two. Accelerator glanced back and scowled.

"Where you always this shy? Get out here." Accelerator picked up Misaka by the scruff with one hand and used his ability to help her avoid discomfort. He brought her around in front of himself, and she meekly hung with her legs still in the air refusing to stand on her own. Accelerator set her down, and she plopped down on the ground sitting before scurrying behind Accelerator again.

Accelerator had never seen Misaka like this. He was used to her anger and hatred. He had even seen here tsundere side once. But he had never seen her completely shy away from someone. The old man had an intimidating aura, but to Accelerator it was nothing. He could tell with just a glance that the old man before him was a 'good guy' and likely a complete softy on the inside despite his tough exterior. Accelerator has great observational skills almost to the point where he could read another's psyche just by looking at them. He had developed this ability from a significant amount of experience especially from dealing with the worst scum of society.

The old man laughed and introduced himself. "I'm Hiruzen Sarutobi the Hokage. It is a pleasure to meet you, children. May I ask for your names?"

Big softy. Had him pegged the moment I saw him. That's going to make negotiations easy for Kakine. . . Crap we should have worked out a plan before coming in they definitely expect me to do it. There's no way in hell I can play the role of a helpless child and receive the best benefits out of this guy. I guess I gotta figure something out on my own. (Accelerator)

It was partly Misaka's 'dere dere' mode that helped loosen the old man. The three introduced themselves and Misaka quickly relaxed. She seemed a lot less tense just a few seconds after meeting him and was probably back to her old self by Accelerator's conclusion. Accelerator finished thinking of a game plan. The gist of it went like this: blame everything on Guy.

"Guy here offer us employment as shinobi here it will be a pleasure working together with you in the future." Accelerator played politely to the best of his abilities while indicating that Guy had already promised them positions. The plan worked like a charm as Sarutobi glared at Guy. Guy began sweating profusely.

"Guyyy." Sarutobi drawled on his name in an intimidating fashion and Guy gulped. "What do you think you are doing!?"

"Gotta run, and the mission went without a hitch goodbye now." Guy popped out with a poof. Accelerator was slightly surprised by Guy's teleportation. He always found teleporters to be nuisances.

The Hokage turned to the children and then said slowly, "So you want to be ninjas?"

Authors note:

I realize that I'm addressing Misaka and Kakine by their surname instead of given name, but I don't feel it's hurting the story any and it's how Accelerator views them since he is a more formal with them. Sorry if I suddenly switch of with names though and start using first names instead of last names where I usually use last names. Feel free to call me out on it if I ever become inconsistent on a person.