Chapter 53

Megan keeps asking the nurses how the surgery is going but they all give her the same answer: I don't know yet, you have to wait.

It sounds easy, but right now one minute feels like an hour.

The waiting room is almost empty, it's 3 am now.
Mason is sitting next to me, resting his elbows on his knees, holding his head with both hands and looking down.
He only moves to ask what time is it.

Megan paces back and forth, biting her nails.

I am really nervous, the doctor said the surgery was not complicated and there is not a big risk of causing her any bad result, but it is still a surgery.

At 4am the nurse comes in the room
"The surgery is over, the doctor wants to talk to you" she announces from the door.

Megan walks to her, but Mason doesn't move.

He moves from his position to face me "Can you go, please? I don't know if I'm ready to hear it" He is begging me with his eyes.

I nod and follow Megan.

We walk into the doctor's office.

"The surgery went as expected. She is not conscious yet. She is going to have to do rehabilitation for at least two weeks, until her knee functions as it used to.
She is going to wake up in around 15 minutes and probably feel a bit dizzy, but she won't feel any pain. Everything is okay"

"Thank you, Doctor. When can she go home?"

"If everything goes as well as it has being until now, she can leave in the morning. We will let you know as soon as we know, and the nurse will give you all the information about the medicines she needs to take"

"Thank you" we say leaving the room.

"Oh thank God" Megan says hugging me and I hug her back.

"It's over, sweetheart" I say smiling.

The nurse gives Megan all the information while I go give Mason the good news.

I come in the room and he looks at me. His body is tense and the fear makes his face look almost unrecognizable.

I walk through the room until I'm standing in front of him.

"She is okay" I say and his entire body relaxes "the Doctor said she is still unconscious due to the anesthetic, but if everything goes as it should, she can go home this morning. The nurse is now giving Megan all the information of the medicines and rehabilitation"

"Oh God..." His face relaxes and he smiles, causing me to breathe in relief.

He hugs me and hides his head on my hair, holding me strongly.

Then he and Megan wait for Kate to wake up in her room, while I stay in the waiting room.

Around half an hour later, Megan leaves to prepare Kate's home for her arrival.

"Jess" Mason comes out the room.

"How is she?"

"She's okay. She wants to meet you"

"Are you sure? She is in a delicate state now and I understand that maybe this is not the right time for..." he stops me.

"Please Jess, she wants to meet you and I want you to meet her, really"

"Okay, I want it too, I just didn't know if this was the right time" I say and he gives me a quick kiss.

"Come"

He opens the door and we walk inside the room. It is white and has only one bed.

Kate is covered by a blanket
"Grandma" Mason calls her quietly and she opens her eyes "This is Jess"

"Oh Jessica, come closer honey, let me see you" Kate has small blue eyes and her skin reflects the passing of time. Her hair is white and her wrinkled hands show the hard work that Mason has told me about. Her voice is sweet and forgiving.

"Nice to meet you Kate" I smile at her.

"I couldn't wait to meet you! Mason has talked a lot about you" Wow really? I look at Mason and he smiles shyly.

She reaches out for my hand "you are even more beautiful than he said"

"Thank you; I've also heard wonderful things about you"

"Oh did you?" She says and her eyes close slowly.

"I think we should let her rest" I whisper and Mason nods.

We go outside and wait for the doctor to tell us we can all go home.

"She seems really sweet" I look at Mason, whose face looks normal again.

"She is. I am sure you will like each other "

"I think so"

"By the way... I want to stay here for at least one week, and I know you have classes, do you think you can stay for the weekend?" He asks carefully.

"Of course, I want to spend more time with her, we have plenty of things to talk about" I smile and he kisses me.

After a while, we drive to Kate's home, which is 15 minutes far from town, in the countryside.

It is small and looks old from the outside, but it's cute inside.

The first thing you see when you open the door are the stairs.
The first floor is made of a small kitchen, a living room, one bedroom and one bathroom, and there are two small bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor.

Mason helps her get in bed, because the Doctor said she had to rest.

"I could sleep a bit when you were waiting at the hospital, so you should take a nap now, I'll be here if she needs anything" Megan suggests.

"Okay, call me if you need help" Mason says and I follow him upstairs.

The second floor has a big corridor with three doors, one in the left, the guest's room, one at the end, the bathroom, and one on the right, which he opens.

"So this is my room" he says as I walk inside.

The room is tiny; it has a closet right next to the door, a bed, a table, and a lot of photos handing on the walls, all taken by him.

"It even has the same covers" he says looking at the bed.

"Wow" I say looking around "I can picture you here on your teen days" I look at the photos, at the papers... "Being the bad boy who would break the hearts of the girls in town"

He laughs "That's exactly how I was"

We get in bed and he hugs me "thank you Jess, thank you for being here for me right now" he says and I kiss him.