Chapter 43

Yes, the figure walking out of the bar is definitely Mason.

"Are you okay?" David must have noticed my face turning pale.

"Yeah em... yeah. Can we please cross the street? I've seen an old friend and..." Before I can move Mason walks to us.

"Jess?" He says staggering.

"Hello Mason" I try to sound calm.

"What are you doing here? I'm wasted Jess I..." he stops after noticing Daniel and his face tenses "Who is he?"

"He is Daniel, a friend"

"Hey" says Daniel, looking a bit confused.

"A friend like Logan or a friend like me?"

"You are not my friend"

"Right. I am your lover" I laugh uncomfortable and look at Daniel.

"No he is not" then I look back at Mason "why are you drinking at 7pm?"

"Because I can" He simply says and David laughs.

"Right. You should go home" He is in a really bad state right now.

"You don't tell me what I should do" he speaks slowly "and... I can't drive"
I notice he is making an effort not to throw up.

"I'll call someone to pick you up"

"Who?"

"Mery or..."

"I'm alone in the world. Like you said" his eyes look depressed "I ruin people and... now I'm truly completely alone"

"Mason no... Come on I'll drive you home" I can't leave him alone in the street. Instead of following me, he starts to walk away.

"No Jess, I don't want to ruin you anymore I..."

"Mason, I want to do it" I say and walk next to him, holding his arm.
"David, I'll see you later okay?"

"Sure, no problem. Do you need any help?"

"Help?!" Mason asks surprised by his question.

"No, no, it's fine, thank you" I understand his concern considering Mason's actual state, but I know he is just Mason, I am okay.

I walk with him to my car. I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I can't leave him alone like this.

The way he said he was alone in the world... his eyes reflected that he meant it.

And he is not alone... at least not completely. It is true that he keeps on pushing everyone out of his life, but he doesn't deserve to feel like this.

He is sitting on the car with his eyes lost on the road while I am driving.

"Who was he?" He breaks the silence

"Who?"

"That guy you were with"

"A friend, I already told you"

"What type of friend?"

"A normal friend" I look at him and my heart breaks; he looks devastated "not a friend like you" I know he doesn't deserve to be given this information, but right now I just want to make him feel better.

His body immediately relaxes.

"How are you?" He asks after a while.

"Good. I mean, I've been better, but I'm good" I look at him "I see you can't say the same" He nods.

When we arrive at his apartment I convince him to take a cold shower and then I help him get in bed.

"Call me if you need something" I say heading to the door.

"Wait! Are you leaving?"

"Yeah"

"With him?"

"With who Mason?"

"The guy"

"No, I am just going home" He is being annoying with David again.

"You said you would see him later" he is still a bit drunk, but much better than before.

"Well I'm not seeing him now. Stop stalking me, will you!" I want to let him know I don't want him to be asking me about David.

"Sorry"

"Okay" I head to the door but he stops me again.

"Jess, can you come here one second?" I doubt; I don't know if sitting in the same bed as him is a good idea, but I guess I'll just do it so that I can leave as soon as possible.

"What?" I say sitting next to him.

"Why did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Drive me here, and take care of me" there's only sadness in his eyes.

"I don't know... I just couldn't leave you there"

"You are too good" he whispers.

"Mason, you need to give people an opportunity, find out if they are good or not, if they are going to treat you right or not, just stop pushing everyone away..."

"You want me to know you?" I can see hope in his eyes.

"If you let me know you, of course I do. But after all of this... I'm not sure anymore" I say honestly and he nods.

"I'm sorry. Seriously, I am sorry. About everything" his eyes really reflect how deep his words are.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask him.

"Sure"

"When you told me about your story... you know... your childhood" I take a breath "Was it true?" I don't know if I am ready to hear his answer, but I really need to know.

"What?" He looks surprised "Of course it was true, you really thought I lied about that?"

"No I don't... But after the things you did and you said afterwards... I doubted" I see he is disappointed at himself.

I come closer and hug him. It is a sweet hug full of meaning. His body says he is sorry, sad and disappointed... Mine tells him he deserves a second chance.

We break apart.

"I'll go now, okay?" I say and he nods, understanding that I want to take it slowly.

I'm really confused about him... he is good and then bad.... but his story is so hard... I don't know what to do, this is really messed up.