Chapter 2: Memories that haunt

Aaron's POV

"Oh you gotta be kidding me" I mumbled rolling my eyes as soon as I walked into my house and saw two idiots, whom I call friends, already waiting for me in the living room.

"Well, it's a pleasure seeing you too, Mr. Arrogant Walker" Melvin said sarcastically as he might have not heard what I said but yet he was able to read my expressions.

"How are you doing? Man" He added further as I walked towards them and he pulled me into a bro-hug and so did Austin. 

"Great" I replied sarcastically.

"Yeah. My bad, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that" He said with a sorry look on his face.

"Come, I'll pour you a drink" Austin suggested giving a pat on my shoulder. 

"No, I won't be drinking tonight, but you guys carry on, I'll go and see Noah first" I replied, not really in the mood to be drinking around my ten month old.

"Alright, go and get him" He replied as I made my way upstairs to his nursery, that Alison and I built together, well it was mostly her ideas and my hardwork as she was pregnant back then and I didn't want her to do anything that drained her.

As I walked towards my son's nursery, my feet felt unusually heavier to drag further...as if there was a force inside me that didn't want to enter that room.

It's not like I wasn't excited or didn't wish to see my baby after a long day at work, trust me when I say this that this is the only moment I await...this is the only moment I live for...these are the only moments of sheer happiness in my life, when I see my son.

But the thing is that...this room holds too many happy memories for me...too many pleasant moments that we have shared together.

Whereas, for most of the people, running down their memory lane...reminiscing about their happy moments together, might be a very joyful and satisfying task...but not in my case...I'm at that stage of my life right now where even the happiest memories haunt me...they give me sleepless nights and restless days.

My heart crunches up in agony and pain whenever I go down the memory lane...it cries out in the pain of being separated from it's soul mate...it cries out at the fact that my baby's mother was brutally snatched away from him when he was just two months old...when he needed her the most...and he still does...I still do.

Somehow I slowly managed to drag my feet towards the door of Noah's nursery, my hand trembled as I reached out for the door nob. I closed my eyes as millions of memories with her flashed before them...her warm smile...her ridiculous laugh...her angelic voice...her soft lips...her mesmerizing hazel eyes with a hint of green in them.

Stop it! Please stop!

"I'll be back soon...I love you..."

As her last words rang in my ears, it was then that I lost it...it was then that I couldn't bear recalling the past.

STOP IT!

I jerked my eyes open and breathed heavily as I felt cold sweat all over my body.

You cannot lose it, Aaron. You just can't...because there's an innocent soul behind these closed door...who has already lost his mother and now you are all that he's got...he is your responsibility.