Water

~Ian~

I gulped down the water in the glass.

Water. A necessity.

We need it when we're thirsty, when we're tired, nervous, panicked.
It is a common comfort for all human beings, or all living things in general.

But water, sometimes, can also be quite a force to deal with. Floods, tsunamis, or the occasional heavy downpours, water can alter lives of the ones that taste it's wrath.

I looked up at the entrance of the cafe, wondering when I would get to replace this glass of water with a cup of latte, or in simple terms, when my beloved father would consider showing up.

~Noah~

"I was wondering if you'd like to go out for coffee sometime in the evening," said Ronan as he stuffed a couple of notebooks into his drawer.

Amber blushed.

"Sure!" was her shy murmur of a reply.

How cute!

I drank my glass of water, smiling on the inside. I was thirsty as hell after teaching a bunch of exuberant little ones for a complete hour and as the water trickled down my throat, I felt much needed relief.

We were sitting in the staff room during free time, eating, completing work and everything. I began correcting my class' number book.

It's funny and irritating at the same time how the kids write mirror images of the numbers instead of the numbers themselves. I found my face switching from chuckling then frowning, then chuckling and then frowning again. But I liked my job, I liked the innocence of little children and I liked the power I had to mould them into someone better for future.

"Hey Noah, would you like to join us?" asked Ronan out of politeness because he knew I'd been overhearing their talks.

I was sitting right across from them at the big round table.

"Oh no, I got plans. You guys have fun!" I replied, waving my hand dismissively adding a small smile. Of course I wouldn't be an intruder.

They nodded and smiled back, rather sympathetically.

Now sympathy was something I truly despised.

They probably thought I was lonely or something. Not that they were wrong, but it wasn't their duty to make me feel better or be sorry for me. Sure, I know they were just being friendly but I hated it when people acted that way. They acted like I needed them.

After all the classes ended and making sure all the kids had been safely handed over to their parents, I walked home.

I chose to stop by the park on the way. The weather was perfect for a walk.

I smiled to myself, thinking about my childhood.

I was my parents' only child for sixteen years, and then my baby sister suddenly popped out. She was an absolute angel and I loved and protected her like a big brother would. I had held her hand along with mom when she took her first walk, I had bought her toys and frocks from my savings. I loved to watch her giggle as she stared up at me with her doe-like eyes. I loved her so much.

And now I didn't have her.

I almost cried wondering whether she would still remember me. Of course she wouldn't, unless my parents were humble enough to remind her that she had a brother whom they mercilessly kicked out when she was just one year old.

A teenage couple sitting on a bench nearby was giving me weird looks. Either I looked horrible when I'm almost crying or I was disrupting something. Probably both.

I turned away and walked out, allowing them privacy, not that it was a very private place.

During the walk from the park to home, I encountered the third couple for the day.

It was an elderly one. And the most adorable you would've ever seen.
They were walking hand in hand on the sidewalk, talking and smiling, as if reminiscing the bygone days of their youth. I smiled at them.

An ache suddenly rose in that empty part of my heart where I always longed for someone to permanently reside.

The innocence and shyness of the first date.
The playfulness and passion in lovemaking.
The depth and honesty in affection.

I wanted it all. But I had promised myself to not let anyone take that for granted and I was going to keep that promise.

When I reached home, I relaxed for a while, eating snacks and watching television, correcting some books side-by-side. I ordered a pizza in, since I didnt feel like cooking and then after having it, I went to bed, eagerly waiting for the clock to strike eleven.

I was determined, I knew what I had to talk about today. He had been the one doing the talking since the past couple of days.

When he finally came online, I texted him,

'Wanna meet up?'

A/N: Hello there! Even though it's just two of you, it means a lot to me that someone is reading my work.

It is my first boyxboy project and I'm hoping to make it as good as I can.

Sorry for the late update though. I'll definitely make it sooner next time.

Thanks for reading!