Chapter 24

Nathan's POV:

Ava's been really distant lately. I thought we made up and were back to normal. I explained what happened with Alyssa. Did I do something wrong?

* * * * *

"Finally. Some one-on-one time with my girlfriend." I said. We were eating dinner at a random restaurant.

"Yeah." Ava responded, looking away.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." She mumbled. She wouldn't meet my gaze.

"Come on. I don't know much about girls, but I know enough to tell when one is upset about something. So what's wrong?" I persisted.

She mumbled something. I couldn't hear what she said though.

"What?" I asked.

"I like Mason!" She exploded. Then she buried her face in her hands. I'm pretty sure she was crying.

"What do you mean?" I asked even though I already knew the answer. I just didn't want it to be true.

"I really like Mason. I feel a different connection with him than I do with you. He makes me feel crazy inside whenever I see him. I crave those little moments I have with him." She said in tears.

"So is this over?" I whispered. "Our relationship?"

"I think so." She whispered, tears streaking down her face.

"Well I hope he makes you happy and fills the gap I couldn't." I said, standing up. I left without a last glance.

* * * * *

{two months later}

Ava's POV:

"Are you sure this is legal?" I asked Mason. We had climbed to the top of a five story office building to watch the sunset.

"Um, no." He answered. He laid down the blankets he had brought for us to sit on.

"Look! Isn't that beautiful?" I exclaimed.

The sun had begun to set, painting the sky brilliant shades of orange, pink, and teal. The wispy clouds had turned a deep purple. It was amazing!

"Not as beautiful as you." He said. I started blushing.

We spent about an hour up there, watching the sunset and talking.

"This was so cool! We need to do this again one day." I said.

"Trust me. I have better ideas than this for next time." He assured me.

"As much as I'd like to know your plans, I should probably head back home now. Cody's waiting for me." I said as I stood up.

"That darn dog. It takes up all of your attention. Why did we get a dog again?" He muttered.

"I believe it was you who wanted the dog, but you weren't allowed to keep it in your dorm." I answered.

"Oh yeah." He sighed.

"Anyway, I better go. See you tomorrow baby!" I said over my shoulder.

"Wait up! I'm coming too!" He yelled. I giggled as he grabbed the blankets and ran to the ladder down.

"I'm gonna drop the blankets then climb down." He said.

"Sounds good." I replied. After the blankets made contact with the ground, he started climbing down.

"Don't fall!" I warned him. He responded by dangling his legs and letting one hand hang.

"Mason! Don't do that!" I shouted. "You're gonna kill yourself!"

"Have some faith in me baby." He chuckled at my worried look and continued climbing down.

"I'll start having faith in you when you don't purposely scare me to death!" I retorted. Once he got to the last few rungs of the ladder, he jumped off onto the blankets.

"Your turn!" He yelled up to me. I started climbing down slowly. About five feet from the bottom, my foot slipped and I fell. Thankfully, Mason caught me before I could hit the ground.

"Thanks for catching me." I whispered as I looked into his deep, chocolate colored eyes.

"You're welcome." He said in a deep voice.

"Now do I get a kiss?" He asked, back to his usual self. I fought the urge to giggle.

"No." I answered.

"But I just saved your life!" He pouted. He even gave the puppy dog stare.

"Fine. But just one." I gave in. He knew I couldn't resist his puppy dog stares.

I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and walked away. It took a moment for him to realize what happened.

"Hey! What kind of kiss was that?" He asked as he ran to catch up with me. Thank god I had been on the track team in high school. I sprinted off down the road to his car, leaving him behind. He wasn't as fast as me.

I quickly hopped in the back seat and hid,  waited for him to catch up. Once he finally did, he was out of breath.

"Why, are, you, so, fast?" He asked taking breaths in between every word.

"Why are you so slow?" I retorted.

"Oh you're gonna pay for that!"