Chapter 23

Ava's POV:

Do I like Mason?

That was the question I kept asking myself for the next few days. I felt like a middle schooler trying to decide if they like someone. I'm so stupid! How could I like someone when I'm dating someone else?

I began hanging out with Mason more. He was a good guy, once you got past the annoying upper layer of his personality. He was nice, sweet, charming, and sexy all in one!

Sh*t. I need to stop thinking about him. I can't like him. I can't! It goes against basically all dating rules.

I kept trying to persuade myself that I liked Nathan and not Mason.

Nathan is my boyfriend for god's sake!

* * * * *

"So after college, what do you plan on doing for a living?" I asked Mason. We were hanging out at Carousel Ice Cream. I had gotten a huge cone that threatened to topple over any moment. Mason had gotten a milkshake.

"Well, I want to join the Marines, but after that, I plan on being a Graphic Designer." He said.

"That's so cool!" I exclaimed. "I didn't know you liked drawing!"

"Yeah. So what are you planning to do after college?" Mason asked me.

"I want to be a rehabilitation specialist that works at Seaworld." I answered. He looked confused.

"They're the people that help the rescued animals recover behind the scenes." I explained.

"Ohhhh! That sounds really cool!" He replied.

* * * * *

I started hanging out with Mason more and more, and hanging out with Nathan less and less.

"Tonight was really fun. We should do it again sometime." I said. We pulled up to my house in his car.

"I know. See you tomorrow at school!" Mason said. He walked me up to the front door. "Say hi to Nathan for me."

"I will. Goodnight." I purred. Before he walked away, I kissed his cheek. His eyes widened in surprise. I pulled away.

"We can redo that if you want." I whispered, twirling my hair with my finger.

He pulled me closer to him closing the gap between our lips.

Dang, he's a good kisser!

After a few moments, he pulled away. His face was still inches from mine, his minty breath blowing in my face.

"I shouldn't be doing this." He mumbled. He started walking away.

"Why not?" I asked.

"You're dating Nathan!" He huffed. His face was contorted with pain.

"Ava, I really like you. I do! But I can't do this behind Nathan's back." He explained.

"Then what do I do?" I sniffled.

"That's for you to decide."