Friends. [!FRIENDSHIP! Child! Gene X Assistant Teacher! Reader]

[ Ahh, forgive me if this is terrible everyone, this is my first X reader. And don't worry, this is just a friendship oneshot. No romance. No pedophila. I ain't into that shit. Without further ado, I present the oneshot! ]

Today seemed relatively normal, for a person like you, (Y/N). That was.. Until it wasn't. You were a teacher's assistant at an elementary school, since you had to get in some community service hours for your school. That's why you decided to volunteer. It was kinda fun at first, seeing all the children happily running around, not having a care in the world. Of course, seeing the same thing over and over eventually got somewhat boring for you. That is.. Until something caught your attention. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a small child on a bench. This one was far away from the rest of the children, but still close enough so you could see them. They seemed to be.. Crying. Due to being a teachers assistant, it was also your job to help the children if they needed help. The thing was, you seemed to be the only one who had noticed. Once you had gotten to the child, you realized it was a boy, with dark green hair. Green? Well that was somewhat unusual. Then again, you've seen a girl with naturally purple hair, so you supposed it wasn't that unusual. You knelt down in front of the boy, looking concerned, and also confused. "Hey little guy.. W.. What's wrong..?" You asked, tilting your head a little. "N.. N-Nothing..!" The boy replied, tears rolling down his cheeks; clearly indicating something was wrong. You could've sworn you've seen this kid before.. Ah, yes, that's right. This was the boy you helped during math time, yes? He was in the first grade. "Hey.. E-Eugene, was it..?" You mumbled out softly, not wanting to scare off the poor boy or make him even more upset. The boy nodded in response. "I-I go b-by Gene.." The small boy whimpered, sniffling. "Alright then... W.. What's wrong, Gene?" You asked, still concerned. Gene began to cry once again, stumbling over his words. "N-Nobody l-likes me..!" He squeaked out, letting a small sob escape his lips. Quickly, you tried to calm him down. "Shh.. G-Gene.. I'm sure that's not tr--" You were cut off by the green haired boy. "I-It is..! W-W-Whenever I w-walk up t-to someone, t-they always w-walk a-away or i-ignore me!" He retorted shakily, only crying harder. "N.. N-Nobody loves m-me.." He whimpered out softly. Hearing this.. You couldn't help but feel your heart break a little. Not literally, but figuratively of course. A little boy claiming that nobody loves him at such a young age? That was harsh. Though a part of you wasn't surprised. "Gene.. Your parents love you, right? And I'm s-sure there's someone here who likes you.." You said, trying to convince the boy that it was alright as you turned away. Though, when you faced back toward the boy, you noticed something. His big, blue, tear-filled eyes staring up at you. "Huh..? Heh, y-your parents do love you... R.. Right..?" You asked again, but his eyes said it all. They said something along the lines of: 'No.' Without Gene having to even speak. "Oh.. O-Oh Gene..." You mumbled out, feeling suddenly guilty. Gene had buried his face away, starting to cry harder than before. "W-Why.. W-Why can't I b-be l-loved, l-like everyone e-else is..?" He asked. You were about to respond, but the boy kept talking. "I-Is i-it the w-way I l-look?" He mumbled, asking rather to himself as he looked at his small hands. "M-My c-clothes..?" He looked at his untucked white button up, and his somewhat wrinkled blue coat. "M.. M-My u-ugly green h-hair-?" That's when he couldn't hold in his tears any longer, letting out another sob. Without hesitation, you hugged him, holding the small child close to you. You let him cry, knowing he probably needed it. Did seriously nobody care about him..? Well, if that was indeed true, you were determined to change that. After a few minutes, Gene had pulled away, hiccuping and sniffling as tear stains marked his red cheeks. "Hey.. Gene.. How about we go to the library.. We could w-watch a movie on my laptop." You said, giving him a kind smile as you began to stand up again. Gene had whimpered in response. "B-But.. B-But n-nobody's gonna l-like me i-if they s-see m-me b-being friends w-with a t-teacher..!" He squeaked out. You chuckled softly, taking the small boy's hand as if helping him off the bench. "Well, it's a good thing I'm not a teacher, right..? I'm an assistant teacher." You said, still kindly smiling. Gene chuckled a small bit, sniffling again. "B-But.. W-Won't y-you get i-in trouble..?" He asked softly, holding your hand as you both walked back inside. Your smile only grew, as you began to laugh a little. "I have my ways."