f i f T E e n

"I don't think I'll ever be able to love you again..."

Jace's tears poured down his face faster than before and his body was shaking. I watched Jace cry like a baby as he stared at the screen of the young couple laying in the dark. The young actress was confessing her feelings to the boy she knew she should never have dated. The whole plot of the story was more than cliche but for some reason, it turned Jace into an emotional mess.

As the characters continued to converse, Jace's body wrapped itself around mine tightly on the bed we were in. His lips met my shoulder twice before he rested his head on my back.

"Jace, are there some underlying issues you feel you need to address?" I questioned while turning down the movie.

"No, why would you ask me such a thing?"

"You're crying an awful lot..."

"So? What's the harm in a man being in touch with his emotions?" he pondered from behind me.

"Real men don't cry, honey."

"Oh sweetheart, real men cry if it's worth it. And this movie right here is definitely worth every tear."

I laughed and turned around to face him in the solitude of our bed. His eyes were swollen, his nose was runny, and his cheeks were wet from his tears. He couldn't have looked any worse but I still found myself leaning in to kiss him anyway. I couldn't get enough of the boy who was making me see things differently which was strange because I've never done this type of thing before but I was enjoying every second of it.

"Keep kissing me like that and I'll have to throw all our morals out of the window," Jace whispered while tangling his hands in my hair.
"What morals? You dropped everything to come to an estranged beach house with a girl you barely know."
"Ah ah ah-" he interrupted. "I dropped everything to come to an estranged beach house with a beautiful girl I want to know."

I found myself smiling like a fool towards Jace before I felt the presence of another person in the room.

"Caden?"

We both turned our heads to the familiar voice of my youngest brother, Casey. He stared at us from the doorway in astonishment as I felt my heart drop.

"Casey!" I shrieked while jumping from Jace's arms. "It's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you're laying in bed kissing that weird guy from the treehouse," Casey said while eyeing Jace over from the door.

"Oh my gosh, please don't kill him, Casey. I promise you-"

"Chill out Cad," he laughed once he plopped in the seat across from us. "I don't have a problem with you two. Personally, I think it's about time you got laid."

"What?" My cheeks felt hotter than a sauna at his choice of words. Was he really going to say what I already knew he was going to say?
"Yeah, after all this time what you really needed was some action-" Don't say it. "Seeing how you've been a virgin all your life."

The room got silent as my cheeks started to burn. Jace's eyes locked onto me but, I couldn't bear to make eye contact with him. One of my biggest secrets was let out of its cage like a wild animal before I had the chance to stop it and I had no idea what to do. 

"Wait... What?"
"Oh...Was that not up for discussion yet? Whoops." Casey said awkwardly while he positioned himself towards the door. "I guess I'll leave you two to it and we'll all forget that this happened!" 

The door shut behind my idiot of a brother and I felt my heart sink. What was that clown even doing here?

Even when they don't try to mess things up with my love life, they still mess things up anyways. 

"Caden, is that true?" Jace said as he took a couple of steps towards me. 

 "Yes, it's true."

"And how old are you again?"
"21."

"So you're a 21-year-old virgin?"
"Yes."
"Why do you seemed so embarrassed?"

"I'm not embarrassed, I'm just caught off guard. This wasn't something I was expecting to talk about so soon. I mean we did only kiss a couple of hours ago."

"Well regardless of that, I think that says a lot about you and the type of girl you are. I admire you for that sweetheart," he paused to brush my cheek with his thumb. "I'm not planning on going anywhere for a while so we can talk about this when you're ready, okay?"

My eyes met Jace's in surprise because one-- he took that weirdly well-- and two-- he.. took that extremely well! No weird questions, no awkward babbling, no laughs... It was just me and Jace's pure understanding having a heart to heart with his words. This was almost too good to be true. 

"Okay, " I replied as I turned away from him. 

"But wait, can I ask you something?" 

"Sure."
"So... how do you relax yourself when you get... you know... excited?"

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of his question before leaving him behind in the room we were in. 

Like I said before, this was too good to be true.