f O U r

By the time my shift ended, I found myself rushing out of the mall, in a hurry to meet with Jace. His back was leaning against the wall across the store I worked from casually as he frequently stole the free pretzel samples from the girl next to him when she wasn't looking. His eyes noticeably picked up once he made eye contact with me, a wide - and kind of cute, a smile spreading across his face.

How could I make someone I barely knew so happy?

"Ready to head on out?" he asked as he held the door open for me.

I was about to reply to his question but my Justin Bieber singing phone had other plans. I pulled it out slowly, feeling my cheeks heat up from embarrassment and resentment towards my brothers. They must've changed it when I was asleep last night.

Idiots.

"Hello?"

"Caaaaaaaden! Guess who has a special box of pizza rolls written with their name on it?"

"Oh my gosh... Is it me?"
"You're darn right!"
"That's amazing, I love you CJ!"
"I know I know, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm driving you home so come to my car and claim your prize."
"Where are you?"
"I'm parked right outside the east shopping wing."

Yikes!

"Um... Okay, give me a few minutes."

"Alright."

'And Justin Bieber... Really?"

CJ giggled like a schoolgirl from the other side of the phone as I rolled my eyes.

"I couldn't help myself!"

I hung up my phone and slid it back into my pocket, looking back at Jace.
"Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, my brother is here and I guess he's my ride so I have to go."
"You don't drive?" Jace questioned with a goofy smile on his face. "My my, that's odd."
"I was feeling lazy this morning!" I retorted, trying to defend myself. "Can I take a rain check?"
"Yeah, it's cool."
"Thanks so much!" I smiled, feeling extreme gratitude for his genuine understanding. I figured that if he was okay with me blowing him off then I should at least tell him my name. "And it's Caden."

His sleek, dark eyebrows furrowed in confusion as his smile widened.
"Sorry?"
"My name... It's Caden."
"Would it be too creepy to tell you that I already knew that?"
"Yes."
"Then it's nice to meet you, Caden."
He extended his hand out to grab mine and shake it like two people do when they first formally meet with each other. His cute gesture brought a small smile to my face but, as quickly as it appeared, it disappeared.

What was wrong with me? I've known this guy for a proper thirty seconds and here I was smiling like an idiot.

"See you when I see you," he purred before setting my hand free, allowing me to leave.

Having that said, I turned around and left leisurely in the direction of the east shopping wing with a head full of possibilities and what if's with the weird barista who seemed to be different. I easily spotted CJ's car and started to walk over but a voice stopped me.

"Hey! Wait up for a second!"

The voice was unfamiliar and clearly from some random who wanted something from me that I didn't want to give to him. I kept walking with the hope of being left alone but, I wasn't so lucky. The stranger had caught up to me and parked himself right in my path, preventing me from going any further. His sly smile had caught my eye but it was more than obvious he was up to no good. I could already tell he was going to waste my time.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, I've fallen over and I can't get up!" he cried while clutching his head and staring me down as he waits for a response.