51 - Sleep, perchance to dream

Start from the beginning

"Aren, I beg you, please do not put yourself in harm's way. I can visit you like this until we can find a way to be together." Tears threaten again, but I force them back.

After a nerve-wracking wait, Aren finally nods and pulls me under the covers with him. Lying within the comfort of his arms, I feel so at peace. I fight the heavy pull of sleep within sleep, trying to prolong the moment as long as possible.

.....

Waking up, a dreamy smile forms on my lips as I recall falling asleep in Aren's arms last night, although my buoyancy sags like an ageing balloon to be back in Alfheimr.

Like a magician, Darish appears carrying a cup of spiced tea. "Lunch will be served in little over an hour, if you would like to join your father."

Sipping the tea, I ask, "What time is it?"

"Nearly midday."

"My sense of day and night is all messed up."

I run a hand through my hair and my fingers graze the sensitive pointed tip of one ear. Freezing, I enquire in the tone one might use if a spider was on your shoulder, "Darish, is there something amiss with my ears?"

"They appear decidedly elven, though perhaps a little smaller than normal for an elf."

Great, twenty years of missed birthday's and what do I get? Pointy ears. I could really do with a dose of normality.

"Darish, can we exercise together?"

"Of course. I will meet you in the Room of Contemplation when you are ready."

He leaves me to change and I meet him downstairs in the room set aside for meditation and exercise. It is less ornate than the sitting room with eau de nil coloured walls and views over a courtyard with a tinkling fountain.

For the first time in several moons I'm able to complete my exercise regime with Darish. I must have improved because it's now easy to keep up with him.

He bows. "I believe that you have it within you to outgrow your teacher."

"I try to practice every morning." I beam and place a hand on his arm. "I am so glad that I have you as a friend in this place."

He smiles back with brotherly affection. "Perhaps my purpose in this life is to help you."

"Well, you can certainly help me survive this place."

......

Lunch with Aldebaran is pleasant and now that we have broken the ice, conversation flows more naturally. I must admit when he first said he was my father I was a little gutted, but now I can't wait to find out more about him.

All in all things aren't so bad. I've found my father, I have Darish as a confidant and I'm able to visit Aren in dreams. Before I can stop it, a silly grin plasters across my face.

"You appear in good spirits today," Aldebaran comments.

"I dreamt of Aren last night and it felt so good to have his arms around me."

"He touched you?" His voice raises slightly.

"Yes," I respond dreamily, then belatedly pick up on the tone of his voice. "I can assure you that nothing untoward happened."

"Elissa, the few whom have the ability to dream-walk normally take many solars to master the skill and even then usually only have the sense of sight. That you also have the sense of touch is truly extraordinary." He shakes his head as if trying to dislodge a puzzling thought.

We rise from the table and retire to the main reception room, where I curl up on a chaise and start to read.

Darish walks in. "Sire, King Morpheus has sent a messenger to invite you and Princess Elissa to his chambers. I do not believe it a request."

Pensiveness hardens the line Aldebaran's mouth. "Elissa, you must guard yourself. The king will no doubt test you. Though I do not believe that he will hurt you."

Gee, reassuring. I don't care for the uncertainty in his words and prompt, "But?"

He sighs. "The king is mercurial, so I cannot gauge what his reaction will be. I had hoped that he would not take an interest in you."

Carefully marking my place with an embroidered bookmark, I sigh and slowly rise. I'm not looking forward to an audience with the so-called 'Dark King'.

With leaden legs, I walk beside my father across the grounds and then into the bowels of the main palace. Whereas the queen's apartment is at the front of the palace, the king's are at the far northern side.

We stop at a double-height arched doorway and I just manage to stop from shivering with dread at the sight of the two dark elves standing sentry. This is no time to be a wimp, Elle.

The guards move as one, each opening one of the doors. Beyond is a dimly lit passageway and a set of steps. At the bottom is an ante-chamber with several flaming torches sending sinister shadows creeping across the walls.

Two more dark elves stand guard beside a second doorway. Aldebaran strides forward with confidence as the guards wordlessly open the door. Trying to calm my fluttering heart, I follow him into a dimly lit room. It feels cavernous, but the edges are obscured in shadows.

The king is partially reclined in an imposing ebony wooden seat, which could easily accommodate three. It is carved all over with beasts and what looks like writhing bodies, although I avoid looking too closely, recalling Nero's rather obscene chair.

He appears not to have bothered to get dressed properly and his black silk smoking jacket gapes partially open to reveal a pale yet sculpted chest. No one could mistake Morpheus for anything other than a king for the very air is thick with his power. He makes me think of the fairy king Oberon; beautiful and yet very dangerous.

Aldebaran bows low. "My king."

I follow his lead and curtsy, keeping my eyes downcast and away from his siren-like stare.

"So kind of you to finally attend upon me." His voice is rich as velvet yet has hidden barbs. "It did not please me to meet your lovely daughter at court with everyone else. We are family after all."

"Sire, I meant no disrespect. Elissa only arrived yesterday. We would of course have called upon you, but you are not normally up this early."

The king slides his fingers along the figures carved on the armrest of his chair. "Even I can be roused early."

I make the mistake of looking up, right into his silver eyes. An uncomfortable pressure builds around my head and it is as if something is trying to simultaneously un-peel my brain whilst trying to push me to my knees. Stand tall, stand strong.

I am unable to look away from the king, held transfixed, like a rabbit in the headlights. However, I refuse to be cowed.

...............
AN - the song is California Dreaming by the Mamas and the Papas.
It is almost impossible to cast a human as Morpheus, the closest is Ian Somerhalder.
This chapter is dedicated to my new Watty twin, a fellow Maya, thank so much for reading. 😘