thirty five: heartbeat

Start from the beginning

I sat down beside her on the stool while the doctor connected the wires and stuff.

"You ready to see your baby boy for the first time?" The doctor asked me and Scarlett grabbed my hand.

I smiled and nodded.

For some reason, I got extremely nervous, I couldn't tell if I was anxious or excited as she switched on the screen and slowly something started to show up there.

Scarlett was smiling as she kept her eyes on the screen and I swallowed as her stomach started showing and fetus figure was now clear.

That was our baby.....it was surreal to see it.

"Little champ looks just fine and very healthy I must say" The doctor said and we smiled.

"The heartbeat seems fine too" She said and I furrowed my eyebrows only to notice the small throbbing of heart in the background.

I had barely noticed it since it was so small but now that was all I could hear in my head.

The little, steady lub-dub....lub-dub...lub-dub making me feel so happy. 

It was his little heart beat....my baby's heartbeat.

My grip on Scarlett's hand tightened as a thought hit me.

Did I really want to kill this little bundle of joy. I couldn't even imagine my life right now if Scarlett would've listened to me and aborted the baby.

I would've never seen this day, never felt so happy.

I'm a monster to even think of killing my baby that I have the fortune to conceive with the woman I love the most.

How could I even...

My lower lip quivered as I saw the graphic of our baby on the screen and his heartbeat kept echoing in my brain like a beautiful symphony.

I felt the tears prick the back of my eyes and Scarlett's smile dropped when she looked at me and squeezed my hand.

"Justin..." She mumbled and I felt the tear tumbled down my cheek.

"I-I just need a minute" I said and quickly stood up and walked out of the room.

I sucked in deep puffs of air and the back of my hand tried to wipe away the tears. I again couldn't tell if I was crying because how happy I was after seeing and listening to my baby's heartbeat or because I was so ashamed and disgusted of myself for wanting to kill it.

I drank water form the water dispenser before wiping my face clean and going back in.

Scarlett had changed back to her clothes and was sitting at the doctor's desk and they both looked at me when I got in.

"I'll go get the reports" The doctor said and walked out, leaving me and Scarlett alone.

Scar stood up and walked to me and cupped my cheek.

"Are you okay?" She asked and I licked my lips and nodded before hugging her and burying my face in her neck.

"I just got very overwhelmed" I said and she nodded and kissed the side of my face.

"I might sound weird right now, but I'm so thankful that you didn't listen to me when I asked you to abort" I said and she smiled and held my face in her hands.

"I love you Scarlett" I said making he smile widen and and kissed her softly.

"I love you too" She said after pulling out and I placed my hands on her bump and chuckled to herself.

"He kicked so hard just after you walked out" She said making me laugh too.

"I guess he likes me after all" I said and she looked up at me and kissed the tip of my nose.

"He loves you, just as much as you love him" She said and my heart quivered, listening to the words that I was trying to run away from but are the truth.

After that, the doctor came in with reports which were all fine. Both Scarlett, and the baby were absolutely healthy.

We were about to sit in the car again when I grabbed her wrist and turned her around and she furrowed her eyebrows at me.

"What?" She asked and I felt myself smile crookedly.

"We need to pick a name for him soon, he's probably irritated with us for calling him'baby' all the time" I said and she laughed causing me to laugh with her.

----------------------------------------------------

Brace yourself for the next chapter

;)

-Love, S